Drag and drop of emails into Tap Forms

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Robert Grund
    Participant

Hi,

is it possible to drag and drop EMails from an Email App into Tap Forms? If yes, could you tell me how?

Thank you!

regards,
    Robert

August 29, 2016 at 4:12 AM #19172

Robert Grund
    Participant

Have found the solutions and I searched a bit more your previous answers. Works like a charm!!!

August 29, 2016 at 4:45 AM #19174

Robert Grund
    Participant

I do have a question now, which I hope you can answer?

I have enabled the Multi-File for the File Attachment Field. On my Mac I can see that the Emails which I have dragged and dropped into the field are all there, but when I open my Iphone or my Ipad, the field setting was updated but the attachments are not synced. Would you know why? Do I need do something else, so that the attachments are synced?

Thank you for your help.

regards,
    Robert

August 29, 2016 at 11:31 AM #19184

Brendan
    Keymaster

Those email attachments can’t be viewed on iOS unfortunately. There’s no viewer for the .eml file type on iOS. I’ve researched this and haven’t found a viable solution for that.

August 30, 2016 at 12:10 AM #19200

Robert Grund
    Participant

Brendan,

thank you for the reply. Can you still allow these files to be synced? There are other apps which can open these files and I would install these apps to be able to view these. May be for a future update?

regards,
    Robert

August 30, 2016 at 1:37 AM #19205

Brendan
    Keymaster

I just tested this and with a multi-file File Attachment field, it does sync. I was just testing using Nearby sync and the .eml files did sync over. But you can’t view them inside Tap Forms. You can open them in another app that supports that format though.

August 30, 2016 at 1:41 AM #19206

Robert Grund
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

how did you manage to get the files over? I can see the files on my Mac but not at all on my iPhone. Do I need to do something special? I have not yet upgraded to Version 5.

Thank you for looking into this!

Robert

August 30, 2016 at 11:09 AM #19220

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Robert,

Oh I see. I was using version 5 for testing.

Is it only that kind of file that’s not syncing for you with the older version? Tap Forms doesn’t make any distinction between the files. Although Alias files are not synced.

August 31, 2016 at 2:19 AM #19233

Robert Grund
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

thank you for coming back to me again. I have checked some of the documents which I have linked to a data element and behold the eml file is now there. Not sure why but it seems to take some time until the file has been uploaded. So I can say it is working in the older version too.

Thank you again for responding, really appreciated!

Robert

May 19, 2017 at 6:05 AM #23223

Brex
    Participant

I’d really like to use Tap Forms as a notebook of sorts (drag HTML addresses or emails or snippets of text in). Ideally this functionality wouldn’t require you to cut and paste.

Would it be possible to enable Tap Forms user to (optionally) designate a specific Multi-File field which would get populated with (as a new record) ANYTHING that you grabbed and dragged onto the Tap Forms icon, in you Mac’s dock?

I’ve been using Things 2 for years as a to-do but also a notebook of sorts. They came out with Things 3 yesterday and summarily removed all date stamps from the interface (so my notebook workflow is busted). This reminded me that I’d be better off owning/controlling my own data and re-engineering my workflow in Tap Forms

Both Things and Evernote have great “drag-onto-the-icon-in-the-dock” (to create a new record) functionality that I’d love to see in Tap Forms.

Thanks

May 19, 2017 at 11:14 AM #23226

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Brex,

Thanks for the feature request. It sounds interesting as a concept.

By “drag anything”, do you mean a file or even something like text from a website?

May 19, 2017 at 1:25 PM #23229

Brex
    Participant

Thanks Brendan

Glad you like the idea.

I was thinking about anything that can BOTH be a) “grabbed and dropped” on a Mac (website link from browser bar, chunk of text from a website, or the emails cited above, in discussion about drag and drop of email .eml into Tap Forms) and b) supported by your Multi-File format. Some might want images etc but that’s not in my use case.

I do a lot of research and like the convenience of dragging a web address or text or email into a database, without having to open the database or cut/paste.

You’ve built a great product. Thanks

Brex

September 5, 2018 at 7:37 AM #30540

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    Is there any development for drag-and-drop in the near foreseeable future? I really want to drag and drop eMails as they come in from the email program. As you know the emails aren’t easy to recognize outside of the mail program by just looking at the file name (if I could ever find where the file is buried).

And outside of emails I would like to drag-and-drop many things, like files, contacts, etc. It would make using tap form so much easier.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Kimberley

September 5, 2018 at 7:36 PM #30541

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’m re-investigating drag and drop from Mail to a Tap Forms File Attachment field.

Things like this change from macOS to macOS version. For a while dragging from Photos to Tap Forms didn’t work. But I figured out how to do that. But then the exact same technique didn’t work for dragging from Mail to Tap Forms. You can drag from Mail to the Finder and then from the Finder into Tap Forms, but that’s kind of lame to have to do that extra step.

I’ve been investigating this again this evening to see if I can make it work. So far not much luck. So will have to do more research and work on it.

September 5, 2018 at 9:18 PM #30542

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ok, I figured out how to get Mail messages to drag into a File Attachment field.

So the Tap Forms 5.3 update will have this in it.

Double-clicking on a .eml file in a File Attachment field within Tap Forms will launch Mail and show you the message.

September 6, 2018 at 12:13 AM #30543

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

Thanks so much, Brendan. I am looking forward to the update.
    Best regards
    Kimberley

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.