User Stories Request : Barcodes For Data Entry Or Something Other Than Simply ID

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms User Stories Request : Barcodes For Data Entry Or Something Other Than Simply ID

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Kurtois
    Participant

Most barcodes seem to be used to identify items. I would like to know of barcode usage among TapForms user community of how they use barcodes in TapForms or other software/processes where users where the user is doing more than simply identifying or cataloging an item.

My hope is to use barcodes to help automate various repetitive tasks associated with data entry / data logging tasks.

January 27, 2020 at 7:59 PM #39368

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I’ve only used barcodes to do cataloguing and indexing, I have a handheld USB/Bluetooth barcode scanner I use to speed up data entry with the prompter functionality to do stuff like scan items into boxes (also with their own barcodes). This has been very useful in packing stuff and knowing what is in a box without having to manually write down everything instead having it available on my laptop, my phone or my iPad.

January 27, 2020 at 8:41 PM #39369

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Kurt,

You can certainly use the barcode scanner to input data into Tap Forms. And with the Scripting engine you could have Tap Forms get data from other places to fill in fields within the record you’re scanning the barcode into. Barcodes can also contain regular text information too, not just some number to use to lookup product information. QR codes are great for storing all kinds of information.

In the Scripting area there’s an example script that shows how to fetch data from a web service to get movie information given a scanned barcode value.

https://www.tapforms.com/help-mac/5.3/en/topic/scripts

So with that, you could scan in a barcode into a Barcode field, then Tap Forms will execute the script and fetch movie data from the Internet to populate your record.

Thanks!

Brendan

February 6, 2020 at 4:05 PM #39519

Kurtois
    Participant

Thank you for the replies thus far.

I hope to read more “real-world” stories about people usage of Tap Forms and barcodes. So, please, share away!

February 6, 2020 at 8:12 PM #39524

Daniel Leu
    Participant

Very similar to and inspired by Brendan’s example, here is a script to scan the barcode from books: https://www.tapforms.com/forums/topic/scanning-books-isbn-number/

So far, I only use barcodes to identify items and track them.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.