Understanding Sync Options for TF 5 w/ Migration in Mind

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Understanding Sync Options for TF 5 w/ Migration in Mind

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Kurtois
    Participant

Questions:

I understand there are sync options available to me as described here:
    Syncing

However, the options available depend on which version of TF you purchased. Is this mentioned somewhere in the manual?

Next, if a user wishes to start out on their own in iCloud using the macOS and iOS versions of TF and then somehow migrate to a solution where multiple users (Apple IDs) can access the same data, is there a migration path for going from iCloud to ‘IBM Sync’ or ‘Apache CouchDB Sync’?

December 2, 2020 at 11:26 PM #42782

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

1. TF5 launched with iCloud, Nearby and IBM Cloud/Cloudant with CouchDB added later along the way (it’s been in for a while). TF3 had iCloud and Dropbox however Dropbox doesn’t work any more because Dropbox shutdown the Sync API. I don’t think there are any other limitations, if you’ve bought TF5 then you’ve got everything on offer.

2. You can disable iCloud sync and then push to IBM or CouchDB at a later date. I personally actually use iCloud sync each time I create a document to sync an empty copy of it up to the cloud and then disable it to use CouchDB. It’s one of the easiest ways to get a document on all of your devices without having to store all of the data on Apple’s servers. You can’t have both iCloud and the other sync options enabled at the same time and I’d really suggest that once you move from iCloud to Cloudant/CouchDB that you like don’t want to go back. I’m not sure if weird things would happen but since they’re independent sync systems I would be personally wary.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.