Text Field Autocomplete

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Drew Allen
    Participant

Is it me or does the text field not autocomplete? I just want to make sure I’m not missing a setting for this. I was sort of expecting it to autocomplete based on previous records as I started typing.

Drew

June 7, 2015 at 7:45 PM #13960

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Drew,

No sorry, it doesn’t. You would need to use a Pick List on a custom layout for auto-complete to work. But it only auto-completes the values in the pick list.

Thanks,

Brendan

June 7, 2015 at 8:48 PM #13962

Drew Allen
    Participant

Dang, ok thanks.

December 4, 2015 at 4:53 AM #15399

SaSaSushi
    Participant

Sorry to revive a 6 month old thread but is there any chance that autocomplete for text fields could be added to Tap Forms in a future update. That was one of the features I really liked in Bento.

December 4, 2015 at 2:42 PM #15408

Brendan
    Keymaster

Anything is possible. I do have auto-complete now for Contact fields on the multi-column list view. But not yet for Text fields.

August 1, 2019 at 3:15 PM #36148

L R
    Participant

New to TapForms. Is autocomplete available for a text field?
    I found this online,”field properties” for 5.3:
    “A popup menu will be automatically generated that contains a list of previously entered values from all the records in the form for the specific field.”
    Thanks

August 1, 2019 at 7:37 PM #36161

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Yes, autocomplete was added for normal text fields last year some time.

August 1, 2019 at 8:20 PM #36177

L R
    Participant

Thanks, but where is it? I start typing in a field hoping it will show me text I’ve already put in that field. But nothing happens.

August 1, 2019 at 9:46 PM #36178

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

It should appear below the text field once you’ve ticked “Use Auto-Complete” then when you type it should show up:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    August 1, 2019 at 10:38 PM #36181

Brendan
    Keymaster

That’s right. Use Auto-Complete is a property on some field types. For both macOS and iOS. Although until the next update, it doesn’t work on the iPad and shouldn’t be enabled. If you enable it when using it on the iPad, Tap Forms won’t save the value you typed into the database. I’ve already fixed this for the next update. But I may need to wait until iOS 13 is released before I release the next update.

August 2, 2019 at 7:42 PM #36192

L R
    Participant

Okay! Thanks! I found it! Under my test fields is a plus sign, a minus sign, and 2 squares overlapped. That one says “duplicate selected field”.
    I’ll try working with it.
    Thanks.

August 2, 2019 at 9:01 PM #36204

Brendan
    Keymaster

Plus means add, minus means delete, and yes, the overlapped squares is duplicate. Hope those icons made sense for you. It’s hard to pick good icons the mean the right thing sometimes :)

August 5, 2019 at 1:33 PM #36216

L R
    Participant

Hi again. Sorry, but I confused “duplicate selected field” for auto complete. Silly now that I’ve worked with Tapforms a bit more.

I’m working on an up to date Macpro and Can’t find “use auto-complete” to click on. All my fields are text…
    Where is it???

August 5, 2019 at 2:48 PM #36218

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi LR,

Select the Text field on the Fields tab and then look at the bottom of the inspector panel where you setup the properties for how the Text fields looks and behaves. It’s below where you can specify the field type and other settings.

August 5, 2019 at 10:06 PM #36220

L R
    Participant

Oh Thank YOU! Clearly, I had not looked everywhere!

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.