Searching in only one field

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Eddy
    Participant

Hi Guys!

I am ashamed to ask this, because I just may be to blind (stupid?) to see it by myself …

It’s about the “search field”.

If I enter something there, tapforms is searching this expression in all fields.

But I want to search in only one field. I know, there is the “advanced search and replace”, but with this I cannot search without replacing something.

Please help the old blind man! ;-)

Regards,

Eddy

November 26, 2022 at 2:47 PM #48314

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Eddy,

You can create a Saved Search by clicking on the Filter button that appears just to the left of the general Search field.

From there you can choose specifically which fields you want to search. You can combine them into all sorts of queries. Click the Save button to save your search. It will appear below the form name on the left.

This feature opens up a huge source of power in Tap Forms.

Thanks!

Brendan

November 26, 2022 at 2:47 PM #48315

Brendan
    Keymaster

And a pointer to the manual on searching:

https://www.tapforms.com/help-mac/5.3/en/topic/searching

November 30, 2022 at 4:56 AM #48364

Eddy
    Participant

Thank you, Brendan,

for your prompt reply.

But I’m afraid, that does not solve the problem.

We use tapforms also as a vocabulary data base. So, we have not only fields with the translation in another language, but also fields with definitions, notes, grammar hints and so on.

So, a user is often searching just the translation for a german word. Let’s say, he is searching for “Buch” (“book”). Of course, this word occurs in a lot of definitions, notes and so on. By using the standard search the user gets a lot of inadequate hits.

So, the user needs a field, where he can write in his search expression and on return/click tapforms is only searching in the field of german words and not in the notes-field and all the other.

Therefore a saved search does not help. Because the key need is to have a standard search, wich is searching only within a special field.

The best solution for me would be either to have the option to define an new standard search field, which occurs instead or aside the basic one. Or/and to have a dropdown menue aside the standard search field, which tells tapforms, within which field/s the search should be processed.

Regards, all the best,

Eddy

November 30, 2022 at 6:08 AM #48366

Lane Robinson
    Participant

Hiya Eddy,

I’m just learning Tap Forms myself, but I thought I’d chime in on this one as I think what you need is there, although maybe not exactly how you envision. I’ll step by step to avoid me assuming incorrectly what you might or might not already know.

If you click the symbol to the left of the search box you go into a more detailed set of search options. Create a sensible title for this, like Book Search, and then go down to the Search rules section and choose the one field you want searched (or add others if appropriate), and perhaps choose “contains” as the parameter. Save this, and you have something someone can click on. I found I had to put initial text in for a search term for it to save all the options properly.

You’ll see the saved search appear under your Form on the left. If you double click the magnifying glass beside the name of the saved search, it brings up the search box waiting for someone to enter a term in the box at the bottom right.

Does this achieve what you need?

November 30, 2022 at 6:37 AM #48368

Eddy
    Participant

Thank you, Lane!

I appreciate, how you think along and try to help.

Actually, I knwo this way. And, even it it is a little bit to long and complicated, I use it. But others forget about it, so they will ask again and again, “how can I …”

The problem is, that it is (a) hidden, (b) to many clicks away, and (c) not intuitive.

And, the search expression you use will be stored to the saved search. This is not only confusing, it’s also something, to what I do not want to give a normal user access to.

So, my wish is still what i described above: To have the option to manipulate the standard search field or to have a dropdown menue just aside the standard search field.

All the bes, regards and thanks again.

Eddy

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Eddy.
    December 1, 2022 at 1:04 PM #48384

Brendan
    Keymaster

This may be possible in a future version of Tap Forms I’m working on. I haven’t written any code to do it yet, but the way the search index is organized now in my new version will enable me to offer a field-level general search. Just thinking out loud here. Nothing concrete yet. The way the records are indexed right now is all field values are indexed together for each record. But in the new version I’m separating out the field values individually into the search index. So I’d be able to target a selected field for the query.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.