Printing Questions

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Dan Langendorf
    Participant

Brendan,

Is it possible to set up a query, go to print it, then manage the column sizes that print? I can increase the space and that usually reveals truncated text, but that also increases the number of pages. Sometimes I just want the whole field to show up (a file name for example) and another field is truncated.

Also, I have five items selected in the query, but only four show up for printing — simple stuff, too. File name, client, subject, month, year . . . that kind of thing. When I preview the printout as a PDF in Preview, I see there is plenty of space for the missing field (and it does not show up as the sole field on a following page).

Just wondering.

Thanks.

Dan.

June 25, 2015 at 3:08 PM #14080

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Dan,

You can use the multi-column list view to size the columns before you bring up the Print sheet. That will affect the width of the columns being printed. You can also set the row height to small, medium, or large to have the text wrap around within the columns to other lines. Plus you can rotate to landscape orientation to get more space.

Thanks,

Brendan

June 25, 2015 at 3:21 PM #14083

Dan Langendorf
    Participant

Brendan,

Thanks.

I forgot about the multi-column view. Duh. I had tried the row height and landscape orientation but the missing puzzle piece was multi-column view.

And thanks for all your hard work. Greatly appreciated.

Dan.

January 6, 2022 at 7:58 AM #46237

Gordon McIntyre
    Participant

I’ve tried changing the width in multicolumn view, but it doesn’t seem to affect the width of the columns when printing records.

I’ve got a date in the first column that gets truncated. I’ve made that column really wide in multi-column view. The start and stop fields only have 4 characters in them and their columns are too wide. There’s still plenty left at the right of the page which isn’t being used.

Gordon

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 6, 2022 at 10:26 AM #46240

tonyt
    Participant

I might be wrong but when you go to print, have you set the field widths in the TapForms print options? You can then save these as a preset. Works for me but its a guessing game working out what value width to give each field to get the desired effect.

Attachments:
    January 6, 2022 at 1:05 PM #46242

Gordon McIntyre
    Participant

Thanks, tonyt

I hadn’t even noticed that there was a setting for field width. When I scroll to see the right, I can only see the ‘8’ as the rest is impossible to view. I only know that it’s ’80’ by copying pasting into an editor. Without deliberately scrolling to the right, there’s just a line of dots that I hadn’t noticed.
    I saw another post on the forum that mentioned this bug here:

Problems printing tables from the database!

The workaround was to turn off “Always” show scroll bars but even with that setting I only see two digits at a time. “100” is “1..” though you can just about see what you’re doing while editing. I’m guessing that the unit is points.

It’s still a bit of trial and error, but now I can adjust the widths, thank you.

Gordon

Attachments:
    January 6, 2022 at 1:20 PM #46244

Daniel Leu
    Participant

I use a custom layout for my prints.

January 6, 2022 at 4:38 PM #46246

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ve got a fix for this Width column hiding issue coming out soon. You’ll be able to resize the Field Name column so the Width column comes into view. It got pushed to the right when you have the scrollbars set to always show on your system.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.