Pictures aren’t showing up

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Ray Robillard
    Participant

I’ve recently migrated from a movie cataloguing software (CLZ Movie Collector) to Tapforms, in my own database (not from the sample). From CLZ, I created a TXT, which I later open in Excel to clean it up (to standardize some of the values). Imported that file in Tapforms, it was a breeze. 761 records in all.

Images didn’t transfer into the TXT file (for obvious reasons) produced by CLZ, so I manually added the images, one by one, in my new database. The CLZ catalog is a package in which the images are in a folder. I simply search, drag and drop the images onto the picture field of any title on my database. Took me a day. That’s ok.

However, when I reopened my database, the next day, 80% of the images were gone. Well, actually, not gone per se, just not visible it would seem. In some cases, I can’t drop the same pictures again on the field, it won’t show. However, if I change the name of the picture file, and then drop it again, it’ll show.

I have Tapforms version 5.3.17 (Build 979), running on Mac OS 10.15.7

Is this a known bug? I searched in the forum, there was a thing about iCloud syncing turned on or off. I’m using iCloud syncing, but it’s been like that for years. I have other databases in Tapforms and none have displayed this issue. I’ve a videogame collection with over 700 titles. Never lost a picture there.

Thanks,

Ray

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    February 24, 2021 at 8:51 AM #43559

Ray Robillard
    Participant

Also, here’s a capture of the pictures currently attached to a particular movie. You can see, on the left, the one I just attached. On the right, the one I’ve added a couple of days ago. I can see the name of the file, but if I click on it, it’s empty.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    February 24, 2021 at 2:24 PM #43561

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Ray,

I’m not sure what happened this time. But if you have your photos in a folder and a CSV file, you can easily have Tap Forms import the photos for you also in one go along with the records. As long as the CSV file has the name of the photo file that matches the filename of the photo in the folder, then Tap Forms will match them up for you.

I’m sorry that you did a lot of work to get the photos in there. But maybe give this a try with a new document just to test it out to see how it goes.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 24, 2021 at 2:54 PM #43562

Ray Robillard
    Participant

If this occurs again (I’m almost done importing the pictures again), is there a log I can send you ?

(Note : The pictures have a name that doesn’t match anything, so I couldn’t import them automatically).

Thanks,

Ray

February 24, 2021 at 6:37 PM #43570

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well, after you import some of the images, quit and re-launch Tap Forms just to make sure they’re still there and that there’s no issue with the database file itself causing this trouble.

When you say the pictures have a name that doesn’t match anything, do you mean there’s no reference to the filenames within the CSV file you export from CLZ Movie Collector?

February 25, 2021 at 5:40 AM #43579

Ray Robillard
    Participant

Say the movie is E.T. The Extraterrestrial (example). Filename will then be : e_t_the_extra_te.jpg. This is an example, but French title will be worse as the accented letters is skipped altogether.

But I didn’t check too far when I exported the CSV file from the CLZ, I could have opted to get the filename and full path to the image folder along the other metadata. Never realized I could have used that to import the image. If I have to do it again, for some reason, I’ll keep that in mind.

I had to cleanup the exported data (aspect ratio and audio options were a mess) and that alone will be as long as processing the last hundred records (I’m almost done). But I will keep that in mind.

So far, this morning, all the 500 hundred pictures are still there. I haven’t opened the database on my other devices, though (iOS and Macbook). I will first create a backup of my database, just in case something goes wrong the in the sync and destroys the images.

Thanks,

Ray

February 26, 2021 at 5:19 AM #43583

Ray Robillard
    Participant

The problem occurred again yesterday evening. After a sync, 50% of the pictures disappeared from the database on my iMac and most wouldn’t show up on my iPhone. But I fixed it.

I disabled syncing, deleted the copy from my iOS device and, restored from a backup and then re-enabled syncing again. After a moment, the database showed up on my iOS device, with all the pictures. And this morning, on my iMac, all pictures are still there, even after it performed another sync.

iCloud seemed to have been the culprit.

Thanks for you help !

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.