Paste images into image fields in default layout

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Paste images into image fields in default layout

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Frances Cherman
    Participant

I see in the release notes for Build 760 that you added the ability to paste images into image fields in custom layouts. Any chance you could implement that for the default layout as well?

August 28, 2016 at 4:28 PM #19134

Brendan
    Keymaster

Perhaps in a future build. But there isn’t even an image field there to paste into like there is on a custom layout. At least not initially. Not until you drag or add a photo to it. So it could be possible to update an existing image with a paste. Although I’m sure I can make it work for the initial image too. For now though use a Custom Layout.

September 15, 2016 at 2:58 AM #19546

Frances Cherman
    Participant

Brendan, referencing my post of August 28 about images disappearing when dragged from one image field to another, you were kind enough to address that issue quickly. What I’m wondering is whether you fixed it by adding an empty image field to the default layout, and, if so, could that field now be tweaked to accept pasted images in the default layout just as they are in a custom layout?

Also, I can’t thank you enough your frequent and direct engagement with your customers. It’s such an incredible relief to know that the app we’re investing time and money in is not only “alive and kicking,” it’s alive and kicking butt! You make every user’s problem your problem and don’t rest until it’s fixed. Every worthwhile suggestion gets added to your personal to-do list, and the improvements are released typically within two or three weeks. Who does that?! And how can we help support you so you don’t stop?

Frances

September 15, 2016 at 12:05 PM #19553

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Frances,

I didn’t fix the drag and drop issue with an invisible image. So when there’s no images in the field, there really is no image there. Unlike on a custom layout where there is an empty image placeholder. I’ll have to think about how to accommodate pasting of images. One alternative might be to have a separate button next to the (+) button with an image of a clipboard or something. Clicking on it would paste the contents of the clipboard and create a new image. Or maybe I just always have an empty placeholder image there that when clicked on will highlight and you can paste into it. Pasting would cause another empty placeholder image to appear next to it. Not really sure about the best way to implement this, but I’ll think about it.

Well I don’t plan on stopping development of Tap Forms anytime soon. At least not while I’m still able to breath and type :) But if you’d like to write a review on the App Stores that would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks!

Brendan

September 15, 2016 at 12:32 PM #19557

Frances Cherman
    Participant

Or maybe I just always have an empty placeholder image there that when clicked on will highlight and you can paste into it.

This would be the more intuitive solution. Users are familiar with clicking directly on or within an object – text, an image, a file, a field, a link, etc. – before pasting. Looking for a button outside the area we want to act on is an entirely new paradigm and is therefore less intuitive.

Not really sure about the best way to implement this, but I’ll think about it.

Can you think fast? ;-) My report is due Oct. 1, and pasting images into image fields would save me many steps and boatloads of time.

Thanks again.

P.S. What would be ideal is if we could also name the pasted image instead of it being assigned a meaningless (to us) string of characters, but if that would take longer to develop, I’d be delighted just to be able to paste.

September 15, 2016 at 4:05 PM #19562

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well, you can certainly use a custom layout for pasting an image for now. Even if that’s the only field you have on a custom layout, at least you can get pasting right now.

September 15, 2016 at 10:32 PM #19566

Frances Cherman
    Participant

Good point! That’s what I will do. Thanks.

September 16, 2016 at 1:52 PM #19573

Mackay Steffensen
    Participant

I would add a vote for the ability to drag and drop images into a custom layout image field like can be done in the default layout. Also another vote for a method to bulk import images. I have a couple thousand images that I need to work with. A current work around is to bulk import them into Tapforms 3 and then export and then import into Taprooms 5, but Taprooms chokes on this many records.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.