Drag-and-drop between photo fields: Dropped photo disappears.

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Drag-and-drop between photo fields: Dropped photo disappears.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Frances Cherman
    Participant

Brendan, I mentioned this on another thread, but it deserves its own thread. When I drag images between image fields, I have to guess where the “sweet spot” is for dropping because there is no visual indicator. I intuitively guess that it’s when my cursor is over the middle of the field vertically. But when I “drop” the image, it disappears completely. I’ve made a screencast to demonstrate the problem.

https://youtu.be/-VX-QWL2d20

August 28, 2016 at 6:57 PM #19148

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Frances,

Ok I’ve just fixed this bug. The problem was the code wasn’t handling the situation where a field was being dropped onto from another field where the destination field never had a photo there ever before. If it had a photo there it would work. If not, it would lose the source image. Fixed for the next update.

Thanks for reporting it.

Brendan

August 28, 2016 at 7:17 PM #19151

Heet
    Participant

Just a quick comment as i experienced this issue as well.

i was doing some cleanup over the weekend. all my photos were in their own field from limitation of previous version of tapforms and they were consolidated into an album. As the album was a new field no photos already existed inside.

as drag/drop was not working, i had been saving all the photos then importing them into the new album. then i would delete the original but the new one would also disappear after…

workaround was to delete from the old fields then import to the new album. this is only for info as the underlying issue is the drag/drop issue.

August 28, 2016 at 10:25 PM #19167

Frances Cherman
    Participant

Thanks for addressing this so quickly. Just for the record, where is the “sweet spot” on a photo field when the image you’re dragging is taller than the field receiving it? Should we align the cursor with the center of the field vertically? The field really needs to have a hover state (shading or outlining is typical) to tell the user when it’s safe to drop the image.

August 29, 2016 at 12:17 AM #19170

Brendan
    Keymaster

The sweet spot is basically when the cursor is inside the cell. There is a bug in the NSCollecitonView control that I am using which doesn’t automatically show the vertical lines that should appear when you drag and drop objects in this collection view control. If I enable vertical scrolling so that the images don’t just scroll left and right within the frame, but also scroll up and down, then the OS properly shows the blue divider bars between items as you drag around. But for some reason if you have it configured as a horizontal layout like I do, you don’t get those blue lines. I think it’s a bug in OS X as another developer friend of mine is having the same issue. But I’m working on trying to get some sort of highlight around the frame to appear when you drag into it. Drag & Drop is really complicated unfortunately.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.