On iOS, numeric data entry keyboard uses comma instead of period

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms On iOS, numeric data entry keyboard uses comma instead of period

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Ray Robillard
    Participant

On my iPhone (iOS 13.5.x), Tap Forms (lastest) is using the comma ( , ) for numerical data entry, to separate the numbers (29,99). However, my database is using the period ( . ) as a number separator (29.99). Have a look at both images I uploaded. Though my database in is Canadian French, I checked in iOS and the number separator is the ( . )

Long pressing on the ( , ) doesn’t act like an iOS keyboard as it doesn’t bring up alternate choices.

Both my devices are setup to use Canada English customization with the ( . ) as the number and currency separator.

Do I need to configure something ? Or is there a trick to get the keybaord to switch from using ( , ) to ( . ) ? Actually, entering a . instead of . gets the separator being ignored… so fuel at 1.029 / litre becomes 1029.00… not good.

Thanks !

Note : So far, what I did is using any other app to input the number, using the period, and to copy / paste this number into Tap Forms. Not ideal.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    July 2, 2020 at 12:39 PM #41162

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Ray,

That’s odd. Tap Forms uses the system’s region settings to determine what decimal separator to use. It’s not something that’s hard coded into the app. In fact, that particular keyboard is generated by the system.

Can you upload a photo of the Language & Region Settings screen?

July 2, 2020 at 1:56 PM #41163

Ray Robillard
    Participant

Sure, here’s the screen capture.

The only settings I changed is the temperature… I’m old school, I prefer F over C ;-)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    July 2, 2020 at 2:17 PM #41166

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ve got mine setup exactly the same except for the Temperature Unit. I prefer Celsius.

I’d suggest rebooting your iPhone and see if that solves the problem.

You can set specific languages per app now. But it looks like your app is running in English too. But just check the Tap Forms settings in the Settings app to be sure.

July 2, 2020 at 2:28 PM #41167

Ray Robillard
    Participant

iPhone got rebooted numerous times since this happened (it’s not new, only I’m on vacation so I have time to chase these things now)

I don’t see anything about app language in Tap Forms itself. My iPhone is set to use English as its primary language and French for the keybaord (to access the accented letters).

My iMac is also set up in English. And on the iMac, where this database also syncs, it uses ( . ) as the decimal separator.

July 2, 2020 at 4:47 PM #41169

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I believe the comma is the correct setting for a French keyboard (be it French or French Canadian) so the system keyboard setting for the French keyboard is why it’s presenting the comma not the period. Tap Forms behind the scenes should be handling the comma as a period for data storage which is why it appears correctly because you’re using English in other places.

Try changing the keyboard away from French to an English keyboard and see if that fixes the keyboard display.

As an aside if you long press letters on the English iOS keyboard it’ll popup the accented options for you if that’s why you’re preferring the French keyboard. I think you probably know this based on what you’ve said but sharing just in case :)

July 2, 2020 at 8:34 PM #41170

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ah yes, I guess because you have your main keyboard set to French then that is also affecting the Number keypad.

I think the problem is because Tap Forms is detecting the English locale, but you are using a French keyboard, Tap Forms doesn’t know how to deal with the fact that you’re giving it a comma as the decimal separator instead of the expected period because of the locale.

Ya, I would suggest as Sam did that you try the English keyboard to see if you encounter the same issue.

July 3, 2020 at 6:05 AM #41172

Ray Robillard
    Participant

Sam, you nailed it! If I switch to the English keyboard, comma becomes a period. Which works for me.

The other reason I use the Canadian French keyboard is Siri. If you set your keyboard in English, Siri expects the commands to be in English. It doesn’t work for day to day for me (I can’t dictacte in French in Mail.app when Keyboard is in English).

But thanks anyway, I’ll simply use the English keyboard when using Tap Forms from now on !

July 3, 2020 at 4:59 PM #41173

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Good to hear that works for you :)

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.