iPad HD feedback – Including iPhone 3GS to iPad retina database transfer

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms iPad HD feedback – Including iPhone 3GS to iPad retina database transfer

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

jswags
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

First of all, love the new HD version of tap forms! I’ve had it in my iPhone for years and it’s just so nice to see it on a big screen :)

I thought I’d give some feedback and also help other users who might jump from Iphone to iPad version.

1. I know you’re working on an iCloud version but for now I went through your post here:

https://www.tapforms.com/2009/03/15/how-to-ftp-a-file-to-tap-forms/

For anyone else doing this don’t use FileZilla on OSX. Use Cyberduck.ch as Brendan suggests. FileZilla wouldn’t connect at all and as soon as I tried Cyberduck it worked a treat. Also make sure you turn on FTP in Tools > Web / FTP settings and click ‘save’ top right, it’s easy to miss.

Finally check this post as it confirms port 8080 for FTP should be used even though the helps document says otherwise

https://www.tapforms.com/forum/topic/ftp-connection-update-to-help-screen

2. With iPhone and ipad connected via FTP I was able to copy over photos and SQL database no problem. I copied from iPhone 3GS to retina iPad.

There was one minor issue:

The copy brought over all the low resolution icons from my iPhone 3GS onto the iPad tapforms app – which makes sense cause I replaced the entire SQL database.

It makes the app look a bit rubbish with dithered icons so I ended up restoring the original install.

As a note if you do a backtup to Dropbox and restore on your iPad the same icons will copy over.

This (I guess) wont be an issue for newer iPhones.

3. So I ended up beaming each form separately – best option here is to turn Bluetooth on for both devices and then beam. I found that it took a long time for the receiving ipad to show up and then there would be 4 of the same name and only one would work. Howevere this is most likely due to poor Bluetooth support on iOS and I kept stopping and starting beam. It did work eventually :)

4. Next I exported all records from my iPhone, uploaded to drop box and downloaded to iPad. Went to the relevant form and chose to import records – worked like a charm and was the quickest part of the process.

Obviously I only did all this to have high resolution icons on the iPad version of tap forms.

Future updates | Minor issues

1. Would be great to swipe from one record to the next rather then the arrow buttons at the bottom.

2. When I transferred the files over the records marked Favourite weren’t favourites anymore – does the make sense!?! Basically all records were normal and none were favourites. I expect this is app specific record and not in the database?

3. Minor point, when you go to About Tap forms under Tools and click the URL it loads in the app and not in safari. Problem is it loads in the thin Tools window so looks a bit odd.

That’s it. If you’ve not downloaded tapforms but are considering then you won’t be disappointed – it’s one of my favourite apps and works so well. Brendan, awesome work – thanks!

May 7, 2012 at 8:18 PM #5194

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Jason,

Thanks for the help for other Tap Forms users!

I’ve corrected the port 8021 / 8080 conflicting info for the next update. Port 8080 is correct now. It used to be 8021, but I had to change it when iOS 5 came out because 8021 no longer worked.

As for your swipe left/right request, I used to have that functionality, but when iOS 5.1 came out, Apple absconded the swipe gestures on the detail screen in order to slide out the master records list view on the left when in portrait mode. So it no longer worked. I had to remove the swipe gesture completely from that screen because it caused weird problems.

The About screen is web view itself, so that’s why it’s displaying linked pages within it. But I agree that’s a little odd. Although on the iPhone version which uses the same code, it’s fine to do it that way..

Thanks again!

Brendan

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.