Inventory Script

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Neil Bontoft
    Participant

I have what I think is a very simple question but I sadly haven’t got a clue how to answer it.

I use Tap Forms v5 as a tool to record inventory in my cellar. Columns include:

• Brewery
    • Beer
    • Size
    • Style
    • Purchase Point

I would like to monitor the quantity of each bottle. It’s not as simple as using an integer and increasing or decreasing as fields like Purchase Point can vary depending on where the bottle was bought.

I have created a concat field that combines Brewery, Beer and Size. This field effectively creates a string for the unique beer which I think could be used.

I guess I have two options:

• A field script that for each record (circa 900) could check if the concat field equals other concat fields and count as appropriate.
    • A new form which uses the concat field and does a count against each record for the concat field. To do this I would also need the script to copy the concat field, and remove any with zero quantity.

Advice is massively appreciated. Cheers

• This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Neil Bontoft.
    February 4, 2022 at 10:03 AM #46596

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Random thought: you could go crazy with a few more forms but it feels like at least “purchase point” should be it’s own form (you could do a form for brewery, styles and sizes as well then use links but that might be overkill?). Purchase point is definitely a candidate for it’s own form and I think sizes might help as well because it seems like you’d have standard sizes.

I did a tutorial on managing balances with Tap Forms using yarn balls as an example and products like hats. There are two videos, the first video sets the ground work forms and has a simple script for setting the balance whilst the second video walks through building the scripting to add and remove entries maintaining the balance. These should help you handle reducing the inventory quantity when applying new parts but it does rely upon form scripts to work properly.

In your case you still need to have something that figures out the quantity you want to reduce by for the purchase points to make it work properly. That might just be a simple prompter entry that then creates the entries for you automatically. I personally use prompters a lot for quick entry of information which speeds up data entry because I can hit the three fields I need rather than load up an entire form.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.