iCloud Sync not working on Mac since upgrade

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms iCloud Sync not working on Mac since upgrade

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

ictapforms
    Participant

I am using Tap Forms on my iPhone, my iPad and my Mac and am generally delighted with the ease and performance.

I am running Tap Forms 1.0.1 (53) on my Mac, Tap Forms HD 3.0.4 (44) on my iPad, and Tap Forms 3.0.4 (56) on my iPhone.

Since I upgraded to 3.0.4 on my iPad and iPhone yesterday, I can no longer sync to my Mac. The iCloud Sync window no longer lists the Mac as a Registered Device on the iDevices, while on the Mac it still shows the other devices, and recognizes that they are running 3.0.4, but there is no synchronization.

I have tried performing a “Reset iCloud Sync” on my iPhone, and I’ve tried killing and reloading Tap Forms on my iDevices and on my Mac, but no change.

Please help! It’s remarkable how quickly a good piece of software can become “essential” to everyday life! :)

November 18, 2012 at 2:46 PM #5546

dan2323
    Participant

Same problem here. Upgraded to new iPhone app and sync broken. Added lots of records on my Mac tonight and none of them syncing down to iPhone. Any changes made on iPhone seem to be syncing ok to Mac though.

Have deleted all iCloud data and resynced everything again and data seems to be getting onto iCloud ok just iOS app not downloading it. Can’t say anything about iPad app though as only got iPhone app at the moment.

November 18, 2012 at 3:10 PM #5547

ictapforms
    Participant

You’re right Dan, Syncing from iDevices to Mac seems ok, and syncing BETWEEN iDevices hasn’t been a problem. It’s syncing FROM Mac TO iDevices that doesn’t seem to be working. The Mac isn’t showing up in the “Registered Device” list on any of the iDevices, and only since the upgrade.

November 18, 2012 at 3:20 PM #5548

dan2323
    Participant

Have tested between my MacBook and iMac and iCloud sync still working ok. So must be something in latest iOS app. I have emailed tap forms directly so will have to wait for a reply and probably an update to one of the apps to correct this issue.

November 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM #5550

Brendan
    Keymaster

I changed the way devices get registered in the latest updates. I’m just waiting for Apple to review and approve the Mac version which also uses this new way to register the devices.. Hang tight. Sorry for the trouble.

Brendan

November 19, 2012 at 9:10 AM #5555

ictapforms
    Participant

Greetings Brendan,

Thanks for the update. I understand that you don’t control Apple (yet!) and that you are at their mercy for the release of your updates.

Understanding that, could you please be certain in future to warn us in the update notes on the App Store when there is this kind of dependency between different platform versions? I could have happily kept using the previous version until the new version was available for all of my platforms rather than being inconvenienced like this.

Thank you again for an excellent product.

November 19, 2012 at 12:21 PM #5558

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello IC,

I will endeavour to do better in this regard next time.

Thanks for your understanding.

Brendan

November 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM #5559

Brendan
    Keymaster

I have added the following text to the What’s New section in my latest iOS updates:

★★★ Note: ★★★
    Changes made on Tap Forms for Mac will not sync up to this version for iOS until Apple reviews and approves the Mac update which has already been submitted for review.

November 20, 2012 at 8:56 AM #5566

ictapforms
    Participant

Thank you! Wording such as that would have been perfect…3 days ago. ;-)

I completely recognize that this is a learn-by-doing experience for you. Thanks again for your cooperation and for an excellent product family.

November 21, 2012 at 1:29 PM #5576

Mattapper
    Participant

I’ve got the same problem. But i am still happy because as long as i use Tab Forms Brendan is always reacting very fast if there is any trouble. I payed much more money for other applications where the developers never gave any feedback. So thanks a lot four your great work Brendan!

November 28, 2012 at 4:59 AM #5589

sunshine
    Participant

Hi Brendan, any news on when the revised Mac version might be available?

Thanks

November 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM #5590

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Sunshine,

I sent Apple a request for a status update last night. I heard back from them today and all they said was “Yes, it’s still waiting for review”. So that’s all I know.

Very sorry for the delay. I did submit it over 2 weeks ago to Apple for review.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 28, 2012 at 3:35 PM #5594

dan2323
    Participant

Wonder if it’s taking so long for review with it being thanksgiving time (although I live in UK). Think Apple mostly shuts down for about a week around this time, so whether this includes the app review team I’m not sure. Just a thought.

November 28, 2012 at 3:51 PM #5596

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’m not really sure. It could have affected review times. Plus they also shut down before Christmas, so I really hope they approve my update before then.

November 29, 2012 at 8:14 AM #5602

gzamba
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

could you not release the new mac version outside the app store for registered users?
    I have several applications that are available for download both from the app store and from their own servers.

November 29, 2012 at 2:02 PM #5604

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Gzamba,

Distribution via the Mac App Store is the only way an app which uses iCloud sync can be distributed. I would need to offer a separate version without iCloud sync if I were to sell it on my website separately.

I wish there was another way since waiting for Apple to review an app is painful. I literally sent them the update on October 14th. It got rejected on October 30th because you could save a CSV file to iCloud, but the Open menu didn’t provide access to that iCloud folder. This was not my own doing. I had to modify the app to support opening files from iCloud (not trivial). Plus I was in the middle of adding in field-level filtering and saved searches at that point, so I had to finish that up before I sent in my update. It took me 2 weeks to finish that up. I re-submitted the update on November 14th. It’s now November 29th and Apple hasn’t even looked at it since rejecting it almost a month ago.

I wait patiently for the update.

In the mean time I’ve been working on adding field-level filtering and saved searches to the iOS versions.

Thanks for your patience.

But I am starting to think about scrapping iCloud sync and going with something like Dropbox though. It might work better, who knows. If I were to do that, then I would be able to sell Tap Forms outside the Mac App store. Although I don’t know if the apps would be interchangeable so if you purchased from the Mac App store you’d be able to update from outside the store.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 5, 2012 at 4:00 AM #5635

djw051
    Participant

Upgrade is now in iTunes and works great – pls stay with iCloud, it is fine and I like the integration I now have with Mac, iPhone (x2) and iPad (x2)

Great product.

Dave

December 5, 2012 at 4:38 AM #5637

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Dave,

Yes, Tap Forms for Mac 1.0.2 was just approved today after a very long delay. Yay!

Thanks for all your patience,

Brendan

December 22, 2012 at 6:04 AM #5754

Brex
    Participant

I couldn’t get anything to synch from Mac to iPhone, finally learned to 1) Reset iCloud Synch on iPhone; 2) go to Mac and reenable iCloud Synch then 3) go back to iPhone and turn iCloud Synch back on again. It works like a dream now with a very large DB, but I was stymied for a month until I figured out this combination

December 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM #5761

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Brex,

Sorry for this trouble. But I’m glad you got it figured out now. Please don’t hesitate to contact me at support@tapforms.com if you need quick help with something. I don’t check the forum as often as I check my email.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 19 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.