iCloud sync missing in version 5 ?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author

David Gordon
    Participant

Has iCloud sync been removed from version 5? I can’t see it if it hasn’t been.

There are options for local sync (via WiFi I guess) and IBM which “may” be paid for. The Apple iCloud system worked fine for me. Neither of the two new options will.

My main Mac connects via Ethernet, not WiFi so if it need to be on the same wireless network as my iPhone I won’t be able to sync.

I trust Apple with my data, I don’t know anything about the new cloud provider and I don’t really want to have to have another could account to manage when iCloud mets my needs.

Thanks!

August 4, 2016 at 1:14 AM #17891

F S
    Participant

+1

I was kind of excited when I read about the new version and its features, some of which I could use. Fortunately I read through the forums and FAQs before updating my current version, because that completely changed my mind.

I am disappointed that the Dropbox and iCloud syncs were removed and replaced by some obscure, potentially chargeable, cloud service hardly anybody has ever heard of and even fewer people actually use. Even though IBM might not be exactly be obscure, but like someone else mentioned in another post… As a Mac/iPhone user I already have iCloud. I also have Dropbox. And I have no interest in adding yet another cloud service for the sole purpose of syncing my Tapforms databases.

I hope you will revise your decision and add the iCloud/Dropbox sync feature again. Until then I will stick with the current version, which fulfils most of my needs and does not require any additional registrations, including disclosing credit card information to yet another website.

August 4, 2016 at 1:21 AM #17892

John Simpson
    Participant

+1

My experience exactly!!

Why can’t the synch use the local network instead of being tied to Wi-Fi? And yet another cloud service I must subscribe to… Noooo.

Can I have my money back please?

August 4, 2016 at 1:51 AM #17896

Manfred Ell
    Participant

From watching the screencast I had the impression that iCloud was used. Bought right away for Mac and iOS. And as I didn’t find the iCloud setting looked here. Stupid me!!!!
    Everybody has Dropbox. IBM???? Give me a break!
    Requesting refund from Apple.

August 4, 2016 at 2:50 AM #17907

Per Lindvig
    Participant

Now I have done my part buying both iOS and macOS versions, now you do your part and bring back the iCloud sync, to keep everything inside the ecosystem ;-)

August 4, 2016 at 3:10 AM #17913

Leo
    Participant

Here another opinion (5ct).

iCloud was continuously giving problems with setting up sync and syncing over the time.
    Dropbox is stable but you still need to give it a initiated sync.

The peer to peer sync does the same as the above.

The clouding sync fives me what I want, instant sync with no worry’s everything is going wrong.

Have a Database over 500 MB and no charges has been made yet (in the beta stage)

Just a simple setup and you can forget about the service. (except the login)

Leo

August 4, 2016 at 6:26 AM #17946

David Gordon
    Participant

I’ve looked further into the IBM sync. Jings, this may be Good for Geeks but its completely over the top for the ordinary user.

I’m being asked to sign up for a (possible) paid service over which I have no control. They may not charge for up to $50 worth of use but I can’t control that and have no idea how much I will use. And even if its well below the limit, we have no idea if IBM will withdraw the free service at any time in the future. We also don’t know if any kind of weird bug in a future release of Tap Forms could run up a big bill.

This is not just another set up and use service. You’ll need a credit card and you’ll need to keep any eye out for the usual problems that entails.

No, just let me use iCloud. It works very well for other services which I sync such as 1Password. No need to reinvent and over complicate the wheel.

August 4, 2016 at 10:38 AM #18003

A. Lucas
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t need another cloud service either – especially one that could rack up costs without you knowing about it until it’s too late.
    Sure, make it an *option* but not at the removal of what was available in the old Tap Forms as those of us who used it had it all set up already.

Makes me wonder if there was some sort of “deal” going on with IBM to push users to their cloud service since everything else was removed…

Sorry, not going for it.

August 4, 2016 at 10:47 AM #18005

Brendan
    Keymaster

There’s no deal between me and IBM. I just found they created a service I was able to integrate with.

In over 6 months of beta testing and using their service I have never been asked to pay anything because the usage never got any higher than $11.47.

The Nearby Sync option was also added as an alternative so you could avoid having to sign-up for an IBM Cloudant account.

I’ve updated the FAQ to explain the decision not to use iCloud or Dropbox:

FAQ about the Tap Forms 5 Upgrade

Sorry for the trouble.

Brendan

August 4, 2016 at 12:18 PM #18015

Mattapper
    Participant

My Database is > 700 MB and the sync with iCloud worked fine for my iPhone, iPad and iMac.
    Now i should sign up for a new, unknown Sync-Service and give them my Credit Card Data?

I really want the iCloud Sync back!!!

August 4, 2016 at 12:54 PM #18024

sunshine
    Participant

I too trust Apple with my data and do not want to have to sign up for yet another service that requires my credit card details. I gladly bought both Mac and iOS version and it’s a great disappointment that iCloud is not supported. I’ve used iCloud for many years with any issues. Please do reinstate iCloud support in V5.

August 5, 2016 at 7:44 AM #18137

David Gordon
    Participant

Thanks Brendon for taking the time to reply here.

I kinda get the feeling that iCould is not coming back to Tap Forms. For me I’m afraid thats a deal buster. I’ve already said why and I see lots of others are unhappy with iCloud’s removal.

I want to support developers like Brendan so rushed out and bought the Mac and iOS versions first thing on Thursday morning. I now feel that may have been a mistake…

Is there any possibility of bring back iCloud sync?

If there is I’ll stick around. Otherwise I’ll have to return to the previous versions while I find another solution.

Thanks!

August 5, 2016 at 8:48 AM #18142

F S
    Participant

Hi Brendon,

further to what David wrote in his previous post I also like to point out that I very much appreciate your good work, your support and your passion. I also read your explanation and do understand your point from a developer’s point of view. But please understand that a customer’s point of view might be a different one, and at the end of the day it is also the customer for whom you write the software.

From what I see the majority of customers would rather continue using Dropbox or iCloud, so I do not give up hope that you will re-consider re-introducing them.

I have used Tapforms on Mac, iPad and iPhone for quite some time now, and I will continue doing so as long as previous versions will work. However, I will not follow you on the path to a new and exotic Cloudservice most of us don’t want to have.

I will have an eye on future Tapforms developments, as I really want to use it (never give up hope) but at the same time I will have to have an eye on competitors’ products.

Sincerely hoping that you change your mind

Thanks
    Frank

August 5, 2016 at 9:32 AM #18147

Chris Ward
    Participant

For me the local sync works fine. I only use my database on my mac, iPad and iPhone. I don’t need remote syncing when away from home, it syncs before I leave home, and syncs when I get back.

It seems a cloud account would only be necessary if multiple people use the same database in different locations.

August 6, 2016 at 12:51 AM #18197

David Gordon
    Participant

@Chris

Cloud syncing is required for TF5 if your Mac is not connected to WiFi for any reason or you are using Ethernet. Or you simply forget to WiFi sync before you leave and find your iPhone/iPad is not unto date.

August 7, 2016 at 7:29 AM #18272

Terry Harpold
    Participant

Shoot. I’m afraid that the Cloudant-only option is a deal-killer for me. I don’t want/need another, not-very-well-documented cloud syncing service to keep track of, with the admin overhead, potential costs, and security risks that this brings. A one-stop only, effectively mandatory cloud requirement is the key reason I left TextExpander for Typinator, which has turned out to be a far better option in every respect. I wish there were a comparable path forward for my TF uses.

Tap Forms is a nifty application and I’ve found very good uses for it. TF 5 looks like a promising update in every other respect, probably the best overall in its category. But without DropBox sync, it’s no-go for me. I understand that the developer’s hands may be tied – the Cloudant sync solution is not a shoot-yourself-in-the-foot choice as TextExpander’s mandatory cloud solution was – but TF is no longer the right application for my workflow. If DB syncing can be added I may be back, but for now I can only wish the developer good luck.

August 7, 2016 at 8:40 AM #18275

Jimmy Uptain
    Participant

Well I’m gonna be a “positive Pattie” and say this is the best part about the upgrade.
    The cloud sync of old, whether it be Apple or Drop Box, was a nightmare. This is especially true if you are running a business with it.
    I now have a database that syncs instantly without having to do anything. And the ability to turn off certain permissions is super! My boss and co-worker can now access the database without me having to worry that they will mess something up.
    Eventually, they will be able to enter data, but I can now get them used to the forms before giving away that privilege.
    I, for one, am stoked!!!!

August 7, 2016 at 8:41 AM #18276

Alexander Wolff
    Participant

As far as i can see the decision of killing iCloud and Dropbox is correct.

Two other apps has been killed because of the developers where not able to build a reliable sync with iCloud: Realmacs Ember and Clear, both databases. Circusponies Notebook (a database, too) has never worked with iCloud-Sync. Devonthinks developer has tested iCloud with their Devonthink to go and failed (AFAIR) and use now something completely different.

iCloud is good for those who create a doc or make a photo on the iPad and sync the whole document to iCloud and sync back to the Mac. For collaborative working even Apple does´t relay on iCloud. They use something different for the iWork-documents. Only the storage is on iCloud.
    It is not intended for instant sync of databases or even work with some pals on the same database at the same time.

Here it is where Cloudant comes in (as far as i understand). iCloud is a quite simple fileserver. Cloudant is a database server-service. The server just syncs the changes in the database and is able to do this with a small amount of datatraffic (and is really fast, changes are made within seconds). But even this sync feature is not intended for collaborative work. As mentioned in the manual, you have to share the database with your partner for there comes other functionalites that prevent the db from getting corrupted.
    There are some reasons why i.E. filemaker server is so expensive.

So when Brendan says he has never exceeded the 50$-line and he has probably done some excessive testing (hope so ;-) ), it is for free.

just my 2 cent

Best regards

August 7, 2016 at 12:33 PM #18288

Paul Kelly
    Participant

I wish to add my support to many of the views above – the new cloud synchronisation option is not acceptable to me.

I appreciate the past was not golden. Over the years Tapforms has lost over 50 images that I attached to records. The iCloud synchronisation was clunky, but seemed to work accurately. I don’t know whether it was faulty synchronisation that deleted the attached images, or just another bug.

I can see that the new cloud synchronisation choice may be technically attractive, but it also has to pass the customer acceptance test, and for me and many others above it does not.

I have no wish to sign up with another third party with whom I have no wish to do business, and giving them the ability to take money from me at will is unacceptable.

I am therefore left with the ‘Nearby’ synchronisation method, but as I have noted in another posting, that is not currently working accurately for me.

August 7, 2016 at 2:02 PM #18294

Nigel Parrish
    Participant

The new sync method is brilliant. It took all of 2 minutes to sign up to and yes its another service but it is so much better than before.

I have now linked 2 macs and 2 iOS devices and all syncing lightening fast and without a glitch.

If that continues then it is well worth the extra device sigh up.

Try the 30 day trial and see if it works?

August 9, 2016 at 12:13 AM #18366

Ryan Tucker
    Participant

Hi Brandon,
    Thanks for your efforts with tap forms. It was one of the first serious apps for iOS that was extremely powerful, useful in everyday life, and well designed easy to use. I loved it back then and recommended it to everyone I knew.

However I have some key principles that simplify my life. One is my world is only Mac. While originally a PC guy, Apple has come to be the most powerful least complicated computing experience on the planet.

To ask me to sing up with another company to entrust my data with is s long shot. To ask me to sign up with IBM is halarious. I won’t be engaging in terms IBM, ever.

Please bring back iCloud support so I can continue to support you and your software.

Thanks again for tap forms!

August 9, 2016 at 12:21 AM #18367

tonyt
    Participant

Another vote for CLOUDANT, INSTANT uber fast sync, no problems encountered at all, thumbs up!

August 10, 2016 at 4:34 AM #18403

Brian Quinn
    Participant

So disappointing, Brendan!
    Having paid £26 for the OSX & IOS versions I’m shocked to find that they no longer sync over iCloud.
    That was the great advantage of the previous product for me – synching across my several devices. Now I’m supposed to open an account (possibly chargeable) for IBM Cloudant, which I’ve never heard of before.
    The alternative of wi-fi synching requires all devices to have Tap Forms open at the same time, which is hopelessly impractical and messy.
    I feel deceived that the store description refers to Cloud synching without making it clear that it’s not iCloud.

August 14, 2016 at 5:16 PM #18613

Ryan Tucker
    Participant

Update:

So after being thoroughly confused and disillusioned with the lack of iCloud support in v5 I broke down and bought the iPhone, iPad, and OS X v5 apps… because Tap Forms is in fact indispensable and Brandon deserves to be paid for his exceptional work.

I tested nearby sync, sending files, and Cloudant sync. All worked well regardless of the buggy initial release. The great thing is now I can setup tap forms on my wife’s devices and she to will be syncing all the same data with me, using a single cloudant account. Sharing between users is not possible over iCloud at the moment.

I still do not change my position that NOBODY wants to be forced to sign up for yet another paid cloud service, ESPECIALLY one that charges money, ESPECIALLY in that we already have iCloud for FREE, and ESPECIALLY when we’re likely already paying for more then one redundant, cloud service…

Regardless, Cloudant seems to be working although quite overly technical for most users for this relatively “simple” tap forms app… hence the point of iCloud.

Brandon, thanks for your efforts again, tap forms is indispensable! BUT PLEASE add back iCloud support when the dust settles. I’m sure in the future iCloud will become easier to implement. I can’t imagine somebody would choose to pay for a complicated third party cloud product rather then use iCloud for FREE.

August 16, 2016 at 7:42 AM #18706

Brian Quinn
    Participant

Despite my initial disappointment I have to admit that synching over Cloudant is way more efficient than it was with iCloud. Almost instantaneous, whereas iCloud was very unreliable and slow at best.
    I await to see if I’ll incur charges but I certainly can’t fault the technical process.

September 13, 2016 at 11:14 AM #19523

Brendan
    Keymaster

FYI, if anyone wants to know why Peter’s comments were deleted, it’s because he wanted me to. I don’t censor comments unless of course they’re inappropriate. But he corrected the problem he was having by switching to a different Cloudant server. It seems Tap Forms was unable to find the Amsterdam server for some reason but switching to the London server worked fine.

September 13, 2016 at 11:38 AM #19526

Peter Baars
    Participant

I indeed asked Brendan to delete my message. It was posted in the spirit of the moment and rather unfair.

Brendan provides an excellent service and I want to thank him for all the help he offered me.

Viewing 22 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.