Field Default Value Inherited from Previous Record?

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Field Default Value Inherited from Previous Record?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Gary Beberman
    Participant

Hi:

I saw a question like this from back in 2015 (https://www.tapforms.com/forums/topic/repetitive-field-data/).

Data entry could go way faster on a subset of fields in new records if those fields were automatically populated with the corresponding values from the previously entered record.

I’m a new user. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks!

March 18, 2022 at 10:43 PM #46996

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Gary,

Yes there is.

What you want to do is make a Form Script that you run at the time you select the previous record and have the script make the new record for you and then copy all the values over to the new record from the selected record and then have Tap Forms select the new record.

On the Template Exchange forum there’s a Mileage Tracker form I posted which does exactly this.

Mileage Tracker (Tap Forms 5.3)

So basically you’re defining what the previous record is by first selecting it. Then when the script runs, it gets that data and copies it to the new record. Now you can modify the new record any way you like. You don’t need to first make a new record by clicking the + button. Just select the old record and run the script.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Brendan

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Brendan.
    March 19, 2022 at 12:35 AM #47003

Gary Beberman
    Participant

Thanks much Brendan. As a Top Forms noob, I look forward to learning how to do this!

Gary

March 19, 2022 at 9:58 AM #47008

Daniel Leu
    Participant

There is duplicate records (cmd-d) as well.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.