Repetitive field data

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

LeoC2
    Participant

One of my users complained he has to enter the same data into each new form, his name. I can’t set the field up with a default value since there are several users so each has his own personal info.

Would it be possible to implement a field option where once data is entered into a field that data is automatically carried over into the next form’s field? It would make data entry so much faster for repetitive info!

Leo

July 28, 2015 at 12:25 PM #14334

Brendan
    Keymaster

You could use the Duplicate Record command and then just update the data you want to change in the duplicated copy.

July 28, 2015 at 6:14 PM #14336

LeoC2
    Participant

Thanks Brendan I know but that would never work as it duplicates all the fields and could cause a lot of confusion.

July 28, 2015 at 7:54 PM #14337

Brendan
    Keymaster

What if the first thing each user does is sets the Default Values for their own copies of the form templates?

July 29, 2015 at 7:19 AM #14344

LeoC2
    Participant

That would open a can of worms allowing users to modify the form. I have them all locked out.

A database I use, Panorama, has a feature they call “Clairvoyance.” Once a field is set to this when the user enters enters data Panorama looks at other entries in the field and if it begins to find a unique match to the first letters entered it automatically fills in the cell.

July 29, 2015 at 7:51 PM #14350

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Leo,

Ah, so just like a dynamic Pick List that draws from all the values previously entered into a field? I did something like that on the Mac version for the Contact field type on the multi-column list view. If you start entering a Contact name, Tap Forms looks up in your Contacts database and then lets you select a match from a popup.

July 30, 2015 at 9:48 AM #14355

LeoC2
    Participant

Well sort of yes. It knows what was entered in the field previously and fills in the rest. Sort of like the way Safari anticipates a URL, you begin typing say f-a-c-e and suddenly Safari fills in as facebook.com. This helps speed things up when entering repetitive data but when pre-populating isn’t practical.

Leo

December 28, 2015 at 4:45 PM #15551

LeoC2
    Participant

Bump

December 29, 2015 at 1:48 AM #15556

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Leo,

Ok. I understand.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.