Creating a bar chart based on a text field

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Creating a bar chart based on a text field

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Ray Robillard
    Participant

I am trying to create a chart view based on a text field.  I created a database for my videogames collection.  I’d like Tap Forms to tell me how many games I have per console.

So I go to charts, select platform as the X field, but then all the series fields I can calculate on are either checkbox or numerical.  So what I did is created a “dummy” count field containing 1 as a default value for every record.  That doesn’t work.  I get an empty chart.

I tried to check in the PDF document, but I couldn’t find help on charts.

What I am doing wrong ?  Or is that something Tap Forms can’t do at the moment ? I’ve attached two pictures to show my settings.

Thanks !

• This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Ray Robillard.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    September 18, 2023 at 2:13 PM #49864

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Ray,

It’s most likely a value of 1 for each record is just giving you a bar that’s so tiny, it’s invisible. Try changing one of those values to a higher number to see if the chart shows it.

What you will want to do is set the Summary Calculation option on your count field to Total. Then set the form to group records by your Platform field. Then on the chart, enable the Show group summaries option.

What you should see is each platform displaying the count of each item. Tap Forms will total up the values in that field and display them in the chart. One value for each platform.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 19, 2023 at 5:27 AM #49873

Ray Robillard
    Participant

That worked perfectly.  Thanks !

Is there a way to get the x-axis label to print vertically ?  Because as it is, I am only seeing a few of the items label.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    September 19, 2023 at 9:27 AM #49876

Brendan
    Keymaster

There’s no function for changing anything about the way the labels are displayed. But the chart does scroll left and right if you drag it.

September 19, 2023 at 9:28 AM #49877

Brendan
    Keymaster

Oh, and you can change the colour of the bars by setting a colour on the field that’s generating the counts.

September 19, 2023 at 10:02 AM #49879

Ray Robillard
    Participant

That’s cool.

If you could add the option to either display the labels vertically under the graph or over the value at the top of each bar, that’d be great.  And a full legend in the pie chart (as it is it’s only showing the first few categories) too.

Thanks again !

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.