Client info for invoice

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Grant Smith
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve only started using Tap Forms today, so please forgive me if this has been asked before, I did search, but I don’t think I am using the right search terms?

I am creating a invoice database for my business, I have a client database also. On my invoice I wish to select the clients information from the client database to save me typing the same info over and over. However, I do not want a table, I wish for it to look like a typed, nicely formatted address.

How can I achieve this?

Thanks in advance

July 10, 2015 at 12:44 AM #14195

Leo
    Participant

Hi Grant,

You can’t. You’ll have to type things over in separate fields.
    I (and several others) have asked Brendan for this possibility, I know he is looking in to it. But at this point there is no other option than that.
    I hope the new database engine he is working on also gives this possibility.

Leo

July 14, 2015 at 1:30 PM #14228

Jimmy Uptain
    Participant

Grant, if you are looking to have an invoice that you can present to a customer either by email or printing it yourself, then yes, this can be accomplished.
    You would first need to link the customer database to the invoice database.
    The first few lines of your customer information will be shown (as a link)
    in the invoice.
    You will have to get creative as only a certain amount of info will show up.
    So you put the info that needs to show up, in the first few lines of the customer form. Those will then show up on the invoice form.
    So if you have Mad Hatter as a customer. you would just hit the + key in the invoice link. The new invoice will then be attached to that customer. If you lay it out correctly, then “Mad Hatter 1234 Crazy Lane Birmingham Al 35005” will then show up in your linked invoice.
    Notice I said “show up”. It will not populate the fields, but it will show up in a custom layout.

After that, you would create a custom layout for printing or email if you like.
    The creation of the layout can be tricky, but you only have to do it once.
    In my own setup, I have a customer database, linked to a property database, linked finally to an invoice database.
    Some of my customers have multiple properties or I would go a more direct route.
    When I want to print multiple invoices I just run a search of that days completed invoices and select all. I then print all.

This is what it looks like.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    June 28, 2021 at 2:20 AM #44690

Bob Wagner
    Participant

What sort of link have you done. It sounds like “Join”. Am i correct in thinking this?
    Thanks

June 28, 2021 at 7:35 PM #44693

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Given the date on the post is 2015, this is likely using Tap Forms 3.5, so it’s a little dated. I don’t think JOIN was an option back then.

JOIN link types are useful if you’re importing data or have pre-existing keys that you can use to link data together. If you’re coming from an existing system, this can make it easy. I also use JOIN link types to pull out grandchildren records into a record (Form A links to Form B, Form B links to Form C but Form C has a copy of the Form A key so that I can join Form A to Form C).

If you’re building native documents in Tap Forms, no data import, then the normal Link to Form 1:M or M:M will handle keeping everything in sync for you. Very few of my use cases that aren’t import based use the JOIN type.

On the subject of client info for invoice, Brendan’s got a sample invoice document that might be helpful. I have a video where I use that as a base for a consultation billing document.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.