Ideally it would be nice to show the actual field so that you could edit it.
Ahh… you want to edit the field at the same time? Just like that it’s not possible. You would need a helper script that copies edited code back to the child field.
Cheers, Daniel
---
See https://lab.danielleu.com/tapformspro/ for scripts and tips&tricks
Thanks for the reply you are quite helpful. While I do have a development background TapForms and JavaScript are new to me. Let me try with a photo so it may help out a bit.
Looking at the attached image with a table field named ‘Timeline’ I want to do the following:
Cost = Minutes * Hourly Rate (not pictured)
The ‘Timeline’ field seems to be an array of records (rows) and what I need to figure out how to do is get the array index for the currently selected row. JavaScript I believe has zero-based arrays so the index for the current row would be something like Timeline[7]. What I don’t know how to do is get the array index for the current row so that I can get the values to do the math. A crude pseudo-code may be like this:
Timeline[index].Cost = Timeline[index].Minutes * Hourly_Rate
So how do I determine what ‘index’ is or is there a different way to do this?
Attachments:
You must be
logged in to view attached files.
Hi Folks!
We are using TapForms also as a CRM-System.
Therefore we let TapForms generate Emails for us. We are using a script, that generates a “mailto” phrase including address, subject and body. This headers are collected from TapForms fields. This works great.
And here is the task:
Sometimes we have to send our clients/guests a PDF (standard contract-template, checklist etc.). Of course, we store these standard PDFs in our CRM-System, i. e. TapForms. But there is no way to generate an email with an attachment by using the “mailto”-method.
What we need is a button inside a form, that creates an email with an attached file, coming out of a attached-file-field.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance, Eddy
This technique, of course, doesn’t show the actual field you are referencing. It just gets its contents into a script field in the current form.
Ideally it would be nice to show the actual field so that you could edit it.
The challenge with both table fields and the many side of link to form fields is that the ordering can change and is dependent upon the sort settings in the UI. What I ended up doing with my order items form (line items in an order) is use a script to set the line number:
var title = record.getFieldValue('fld-39ca9564ef2347ac93f933bc9a2316ac');
var order = record.getFieldValue('fld-c3a6725d7d9446da92bbb880ffe90a9e');
var order_items = order.getFieldValue('fld-9db0c7698499435ab6b18b7eb420e0ae');
var quantity = record.getFieldValue('fld-39379cdff743496f9a1ccbdc1ae56297');
var line_number = record.getFieldValue('fld-f95b68d488cb4b058bbf3de84e1a7c3b');
var note = record.getFieldValue('fld-d0cfab9ec09d497294fbd8b5b52caf16');
if (!line_number)
{
record.setFieldValue('fld-f95b68d488cb4b058bbf3de84e1a7c3b', order_items.length);
console.log('Setting line number to ' + order_items.length);
}
This generally works ok, it’s not perfect, but sets a field in the form that I can then refer to later. I use this in particular to ensure that I can always get the correct order of line items for display.
Script fields are very powerful vehicles to fetch, format, and process data from different forms, among others.
Cheers, Daniel
---
See https://lab.danielleu.com/tapformspro/ for scripts and tips&tricks
That’s very helpful, Daniel. Because I came to Script Fields after first experimenting with Form scripts and the TapForms JavaScript API, I have up until now been using them to achieve an action rather than present a result.
You can do both with a field script.
1. Display a field from a linked form without it obviously being enclosed within the “Link to Form” field that was used to set up the link. I want it to appear like any other field on a layout.
var child_link_id = 'fld-c22501cc3910474aa1c59387fde30d82';
var child_name_id = 'fld-8b8f3b0cd59b4b4c9180a8903685e7ee';
var childs = record.getFieldValue(child_link_id);
// show first child
childs[0].getFieldValue(child_name_id);
First I define the child link field id (in the parent form) and the name field id from the child form. Next I fetch all childs. Assuming I only have one child record, I just fetch the name of the first record found.
If there is more than one child record, I can simply loop over them:
// combine child names
var child_names = [];
for (child of childs){
child_names.push(child.getFieldValue(child_name_id));
}
child_names.concat();
2. Display a field that is two links away. Form A links to Form B. Form B links to Form C. I would like to display a field from Form C on a layout associated with Form A.
If I want to get data form a child’s child form, eg grandchild, the process is very similar. Following script just returns the name of the first grandchild record from the first child record:
var child_link_id = 'fld-c22501cc3910474aa1c59387fde30d82';
var grandchild_link_id = 'fld-9d399af0d72b4c8fbc3cb95fa6127203';
var grandchild_name_id = 'fld-9485e9dd29474745acee87bb3a60fff5';
var childs = record.getFieldValue(child_link_id);
// get grandchildren from first child
var grandchildren = childs[0].getFieldValue(grandchild_link_id);
// get name of first grandchild
grandchildren[0].getFieldValue(grandchild_name_id);
To get the ids for the granchield fields, I opened a field script in the child form and copied the necessary entries over to the field script in the parent form.
Cheers, Daniel
---
See https://lab.danielleu.com/tapformspro/ for scripts and tips&tricks
I have a script field that is contained within a table field. Since there are ‘n’ rows in this table and the script executes within each row how do I get the index number of the current row so that I can use it within the script?
Thank you and appreciate the code sample. This is actually what I was working on myself but I was having issues that you answered in another thread regarding setting field values that trigger scripts and using the third parameter of ‘false’ when writing field values. Once again appreciate the help!
Hi there. I trying to create a check box field (called “paid”) that then generates todays date in another field (called “date paid”) when checked. I used a calculation field for the “date paid” field and wrote this:
if( PAID =”1″;TODAY();0)
I turned the calculation result type to “date”. On the “date paid” field I turned the default date to dd/mm/yyyy which gets rid of the seconds.
It works great except for it shows 01/01/1970 when the “paid” field is unchecked, which I understand is to do with how when is calculated from time.
So my question is: is there any way for the calculation to leave a blank field if the date field is not checked, just giving me a date for when I check it? Or do I have to do this through scripting?
Reposting because my original reply got flagged as spam.
I’m uploading a sample form template that shows what I mean. It has two fields in it, a text field and a script field. I also included the form logger script with an update that prints out field ID’s in Javascript variable syntax. That’s used at the top top populate the field ID’s because by default the script editor doesn’t expose script fields. I also use this syntax because it includes the form name which makes it easy to keep track of variables in larger documents with lots of forms and lots of fields. There’s a commented line to ensure that Tap Forms registers this script to the field that works even if the line is commented out. I then grab the text field and the contents of the script field.
For the script field, I check to see if it is set and provide a default dictionary if it isn’t set already. If it is set to a value, I assume it’s JSON and parse it back into an object.
Then at that point it’s a quick comparison of the deserialised JSON payload and your new one. I added a message in so you can see a note, always useful after the fact for some of these scripts even if you hide the field by default, you can unhide it to see what it has in it.
Lastly the script field ends with JSON.stringify to return a JSON string as the fields contents. This object can obviously contain what ever you want in it so if you have multiple values instead of setting multiple fields, you just return a value at the end of your field script with the data you need to keep track of from each execution.
Sample execution: 
Field script:
// Script Field State
var script_field_state_formID = "frm-86fd53d1f9ab47548636fc2e2d1d0d35";
var script_field_state__main_field_fldID = "fld-2177d4bf8500482d8fc6242faa80c5e6"; // text
var script_field_state__watcher_fldID = "fld-7e997368aef740f68f126d2c8509d148"; // script
// Make sure the field is watched to pick up changes.
//var main_field = record.getFieldValue('fld-2177d4bf8500482d8fc6242faa80c5e6');
var main = record.getFieldValue(script_field_state__main_field_fldID);
var state = record.getFieldValue(script_field_state__watcher_fldID);
if (!state)
{
state = {'previous':undefined,'message':'Initial setting'};
}
else
{
state = JSON.parse(state);
}
if (state['previous'] != main)
{
state['message'] = `Field value changed from '${state['previous']}' to '${main}'`;
state['previous'] = main;
}
JSON.stringify(state);
Attachments:
You must be
logged in to view attached files.
It is possible that your script can be re-entrant if it watches multiple fields and you call setFieldValue on one of those fields. There is a third parameter to setFieldValue that controls if scripts are executed, flip it to a falsy value and scripts won’t be executed from that setFieldValue invocation. I used to write my own guards because Javascript instance is reused so you can share variables between the other scripts triggered by setFieldValue. Photo fields can also exhibit the same behaviour but I there isn’t a flag to disable them. For those I try to ensure that the field ID is obscured to prevent Tap Forms from triggering my script field for it.
I am writing a script that touches (read/write) several fields on the form. I am guessing at this point but I think that as each of these fields are touched within the script they are invoking the script again on their own which is causing strange results. Can anyone confirm that this is either possible / not possible and if it is possible how can I stop this behavior so that a script is only executed when one of the fields that are being touched invokes the script?
I use a hidden field to save state of what fields used to be and then compare the new field value against the old one. There is no before change data so you have to grab it yourself.
I also have another technique where with the script field, you can return a value. So you can use the script field itself to store the previous state and by accessing the script field with getFieldValue, you can then get at the previous value. When you finish up your script field, you return the previous value. If you have a few different values you want to track, you can use JSON.stringify and JSON.parse to serialise and unserialise the field value into an object in JSON.
Hopefully that helps.