Widget support

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

robinsiebler
    Participant

Does Tap Forms have the ability to create a widget on the Home Screen (iOS)? I want to create a shopping list and have a widget to add items to the list.

June 5, 2021 at 2:52 PM #44519

Brendan
    Keymaster

I have not added Widget support to Tap Forms at the moment. I was thinking about it at some point but wasn’t quite sure what people would use it for. Since forms can be so varied and complex, I’m not sure that I’d be able to represent them all in a widget.

June 5, 2021 at 10:56 PM #44525

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

When Apple redid the widgets in iOS 14, they also took away a lot of the interactivity of the widgets as well. That means all it could do is display some information and when you tap on it, it takes you to the app. It was sad that they seriously nerfed the previously fully interactive capabilities of the widgets to present these read only views. The older widget style was a little more dynamic and I think that could have been powerful for Tap Forms for like a quick entry form but I don’t think that is possible with the new one.

September 11, 2021 at 1:15 AM #45243

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I was thinking about this today and I think a possible use case would be similar to what the calendar does in merely displaying a list of events that perhaps changes over time. I don’t think the shopping list would work (which is a shame, I’d like it to) because the widgets are read only but I was thinking of my meal planner and a widget displaying a saved search that was set to items matching today’s date. The meal planner is in a sense a calendar use case with breakfast/lunch/dinner loosely aligned to time. One could do an “up next” style use case with some extra functionality in the saved search system.

To make this work would require re-evaluation of saved searches periodically to feed the widget but I think that could be somewhat reasonable.

In terms of rendering, I’d reuse the SCLV style row format.

September 12, 2021 at 1:34 PM #45269

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya, I suppose that would work. You’d need a way to mark a form or search as being available for a widget. Similar to how I have the Show on watch option on iPhone for a form.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.