Where is the actual TF database?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Jonathan Levin
    Participant

Hi. This should be an easy one. Where is the file of a database. And where ever it is, can I move it to a different spot? Or do I just use the Backup menu command and save that to where I want it each time a quit?

September 11, 2017 at 2:42 PM #24524

Jose Monteiro
    Participant

To see where it is, on Database Documents window, click on the right arrow that is after the trash icon, at the bottom of the window.
    It will show you the DB file in Finder (the default location for DBs).
    Why do you need to move it?
    The default location is a nice place to keep them.

September 11, 2017 at 10:34 PM #24528

Brendan
    Keymaster

Tap Forms 5 stores it documents here:

~/Library/Containers/com.tapzapp.tapforms-mac/Data/Documents

To get there:

1. Copy the above path.
    2. In the Finder, press command-shift-g or click on the Go menu and select Go to Folder…
    3. Paste the above path into the field.
    4. Press the Go button.

Tap Forms 3.5 stores it’s TapForms_db.sqlite database here:

~/Library/Containers/com.tapforms.mac/Data/Documents

September 12, 2017 at 9:46 AM #24542

Jonathan Levin
    Participant

Thanks. I’ll just leave that alone. But if I wanted to back up to something like a cd/DVD I assume that I’d just go to Back up…, choose a place for that and then burn that to whatever disk I want? Correct?

JL

September 12, 2017 at 7:37 PM #24551

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes, that’s correct. The Backup command will create a zip file containing all your data.

September 13, 2017 at 1:06 PM #24587

Jonathan Levin
    Participant

So what is an TapForms Archive and when should that be used?

September 13, 2017 at 1:50 PM #24589

Brendan
    Keymaster

If you wanted to send a single form (and it’s linked children) to someone else so they could import it into one of their database documents.

Or if you wanted to move a form from one database document to another you would use the Export Tap Forms Archive command to export the .tfarc file, then open your other document and use the Import Tap Forms Archive command to import it.

Exporting and importing into the same document won’t have any effect because the internal identifiers will all be the same, so it will appear that nothing happens. Well, unless you deleted a form and wanted to restore just that one form that is. You could do that by importing the Tap Forms Archive file.

September 14, 2017 at 9:52 AM #24601

Jonathan Levin
    Participant

Thanks Brendan. Great info. One last question on this subject: I’m guessing the answer to this is yes, but when you do a Backup for burning to disk for example, I assume that not only all data is backed up, but Advanced searches, Field/record arrangements, etc. are saved too?

Thanks again.

September 14, 2017 at 10:09 AM #24603

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jonathan,

Yes, that’s correct. Really all Tap Forms is doing is compressing the .tapforms document and saving it wherever you ask it to save it. Everything to do with your database is stored within the .tapforms document. And that is just a special kind of folder called a package. You can see what’s inside it by right-clicking on it in the Finder and choosing the Show Package Contents option.

December 14, 2021 at 1:54 PM #46026

Andreas .
    Participant

Hi, it’s an old thread but I was asking myself if it is possible to change the default location. Is there a reason why the database files are kind of hidden for the user but not easy accessible f.e. in the documents folder?
    I ask because I just have been through multiple computer migrations and I learned that you easy loose control of where all data are scattered all over the computer.
    No big deal – i’m just curious.

December 14, 2021 at 3:18 PM #46030

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Andreas,

The Tap Forms files are where they are due to Apple’s Sandboxing rules.

That being said, in a new version of Tap Forms I’m working on, I’ve added the ability to let you choose where Tap Forms will look for the .tapforms documents. So you’ll be able to put them wherever you want after that.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 14, 2021 at 5:26 PM #46035

Andreas .
    Participant

Thanks Brendan, perfect !

February 12, 2022 at 10:16 AM #46704

Jaime Moreno
    Participant

When can we expect to have the version with the ability to choose where Tap Forms look for documents? I am also interested in that capability.
    Thanks.

February 13, 2022 at 8:25 PM #46737

Brendan
    Keymaster

In a bigger upgrade, later this year (hopefully). Not in a minor update.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.