where is data located on HD?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Kurt Easterwood
    Participant

(I tried searching but the forum search seems broken – eg., searching on “syncing” brings up no results.)

Problem:
    I recently did a fresh install of Yosemite on my Mac, onto a new SSD, and have migrated my essential apps from the old HD or re-downloaded them from App Store or software vendors.

Before that, I did do a basic dump of my main Tap Forms database (exporting all records as a .csv file), but stupidly didn’t do any kind of backup, nor did I export my templates. (No iCloud sync as well since I only use Tap Forms on my iMac.)

I was hoping however that once I installed Tap Forms on the new SSD, I would be able to grab my data from the old HD, but I can’t find it anywhere. Surely even without backing up the data has to be located somewhere, no? With other apps, manually moving over the appropriate folders in Application Support and Preferences usually does the trick, but there are no Tap Forms folders in either location. I have searched the hard drive for anything with “tap” in the name, but come up with nothing other than the application file. (also searched a backup of my old HD and found nothing there except the application itself)

Can someone point me towards the location of my data?

Thanks in advance!

August 4, 2015 at 1:15 AM #14382

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Kurt,

There’s a whole other set of folders that store data for each app that you’ve purchased from the Mac App Store. The data is stored in the following folder for Tap Forms:

~/Library/Containers/com.tapforms.mac/Data/Documents

If you look in ~/Library/Containers, you’ll see the data for a whole bunch of apps.

Thanks,

Brendan

August 4, 2015 at 1:16 AM #14383

Brendan
    Keymaster

Oh, and the ~ represents your user’s home folder.

August 4, 2015 at 1:25 AM #14384

tonyt
    Participant

Hope this helps Kurt
    oops! Just saw Brendans post – same info but I can’t seem to either add the screen grab I was going to send, or delete this reply! Hope you get sorted!!

August 4, 2015 at 7:16 PM #14395

Kurt Easterwood
    Participant

Thanks guys, I replaced the contents com.tapforms.mac folder on the new SSD with the contents of same folder on old HDD, launched Tap Forms, and I’m back in business!

Kudos to you Brendan for not only a great app (been using it problem free since Jan. 2014) but for excellent user support as well.

Now, excuse me while I make some backups of my templates and data!

Kurt

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.