When editing a record, wish there were "cancel" and "save" buttons…

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms When editing a record, wish there were "cancel" and "save" buttons…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Jpok
    Participant

Whenever editing a record or creating a new record, when finished we have to tap the top-left button which is shaped like a back-arrow, and has the name of the form inside the button. Every time I create or edit a record, I get confused with this button, because I think that when I hit it, since it has a back-arrow on it, it will not save my changes but just go back to the previous screen.

The reason why I find this confusing is that every other app with editing capabilities has both a “save” button and a “cancel” button at the top. Plus, almost always the “cancel” button is at the top-left and is a back-arrow like the one I’m writing about for TapForms.

I’ve been using TapForms frequently for weeks now, and still every time I edit or create a new record, my heart skips a beat thinking that when I hit the “back” button it’s not going to save my changes.

I don’t think that the way you had planned the layout it is necessarily the problem, but I believe the problem might be that it is different than most other apps, and this might be what makes it confusing.

Just something I thought you might want to consider.

Thanks

August 18, 2009 at 7:09 AM #3741

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jpok,

You’ve made some very good points there. I’ll definitely take that into consideration.

Thanks,

Brendan

August 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM #3743

Jpok
    Participant

Please note that the same discrepancy is seen on the “Edit Form” screen. The “Customize” button on the top-left is a back-arrow. Again it might be nice to see “Cancel” and “Save” buttons, or at least another option besides just the back arrow which might be confusing.

One really simple and quick solution (I’m sure you’ve thought of this before, but also I’m sure you’ve thought of something better! :) ) is just to change the back arrows in these instances with regular rectangular push-buttons, with the word “Save” on the inside. Of course there’s probably a much better solution than that.

Thanks

August 22, 2009 at 7:43 AM #3744

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ve seen both the arrow shaped button with “Cancel” and the regular round rectangle shaped button with “Cancel” on the left side. But sometimes the edit screen pops up from below. Just like when you’re selecting a Form to add to your list on the Forms tab.

My ideas were that you just go back to where you came from when using the back arrow button. Since it has the name of the previous page in it, you know where you’re going to go back to.

If I change the back arrow buttons to “Cancel”, then you won’t really know where you’re going to go back to.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.