What is the function of the folder icon in the image field of a custom layout?

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms What is the function of the folder icon in the image field of a custom layout?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Frances Cherman
    Participant

What is the purpose of this button?

Folder icon in image field

When I click on it, it says “locate file” but it doesn’t go to the file location (which I understand is embedded in a blob). What is its purpose?

September 17, 2016 at 3:11 PM #19581

Brendan
    Keymaster

You use this button to find a photo on your drive that you would like to attach to the field in your record.

September 17, 2016 at 3:23 PM #19582

Frances Cherman
    Participant

Then I think “Locate file” is misleading because it suggests that clicking the folder will take you to the location of the image you’ve selected (especially since it appears only when you hover over a specific image). Locating that file in the finder would be a very handy function, and I would suggest adding it. But for now, if clicking the folder lets you upload a file that will replace the one you’ve selected, the icon should be the 180° rotation of the “Download” icon (in other words, an up-facing arrow), and the tooltip should say “Replace.” If it lets you upload an image that does not replace the one you’ve selected, then it shouldn’t be attached to the image; it should be attached to the field, no?

September 17, 2016 at 3:27 PM #19586

Brendan
    Keymaster

I used to have a Show in Finder button on the previous version of Tap Forms, but that no longer works with version 5 because all the images are now stored in the database, hence the download button. Technically Tap Forms will add a photo and not replace it. It’s just that the custom layout only displays one image at a time.

September 17, 2016 at 4:08 PM #19588

Frances Cherman
    Participant

I used to have a Show in Finder button on the previous version of Tap Forms, but that no longer works with version 5 because all the images are now stored in the database, hence the download button.

It would be *especially* useful to have it point to the file in the database – especially since the current process of locating a particular image requires going through them one-by-one with Quicklook – the blob files do not display a preview in the Finder.

Technically Tap Forms will add a photo and not replace it. It’s just that the custom layout only displays one image at a time.

I get it; but that is not consistent with what Mac users expect for selected content, and inconsistent behavior drives users absolutely bonkers (think Microsoft).

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.