What can I do more?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Patrice Hof
    Participant

Hi Brendan and TF users,
    I’ve done all the instructions in order to make iCloud sync work again. No success.
    – Deactivate TF iCloud Sync on all devices
    – Remove documents and data from iCloud
    – Log out iCloud session on all devices and log in again
    – Set the same key on all devices, and in Keychain as well
    – Reactivate TF iCloud Sync

Sync is erratic, sometimes it works, sometimes not. It’s not reliable at all and I never know for sure whether my data is up to date or not, or whether the new entries will be integrated to the database.

What can I do more, what have I missed? Could you post a comprehensive procedure for making sync work again for sure?

thanks
    patrice

November 19, 2014 at 10:16 PM #11810

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Patrice,

I think you’ve followed all of the recommended procedures. I’m not sure what more I can say about it other than it sometimes takes patience and of course to make sure you’re using the latest versions of all the software (OS X 10.10.1, iOS 8.1.1, Tap Forms 3.0 for Mac and Tap Forms 3.9.2 for iOS).

When you upload from one device, are you waiting for the other devices to auto-sync? Or are you going around to all your devices and pressing the upload to iCloud buttons? It works best if you do one device at a time, waiting for all other devices to auto-sync the changes uploaded from the device you pressed the upload to iCloud button on.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 20, 2014 at 1:31 AM #11818

Patrice Hof
    Participant

I reckon the missing step is waiting…
    Because 3 days after running the whole procedure, the iCloud Sync panel on my ipad still indicates that the download progress is 0.0%.
    I’ll try again

November 20, 2014 at 1:58 AM #11821

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Patrice,

The 0% progress indicator seems to trip a lot of people up. It’s not an indication of what percentage your devices are in sync. It’s an indication of the progress of the actual sync files being uploaded or downloaded. You will only ever see that progress indicator change when a sync file is actually uploading or downloading at that very moment. So you have to be watching it or you’ll miss it. When it gets to 100%, I reset the value back to 0% so that it will start again the next time you tap the upload to iCloud button or the next time a sync file is being downloaded from iCloud. It will also take a few moments to begin after you see the “Sync Done” message.

There’s a progress bar next to the 0% also. That 0% just tells you how far along the progress bar is.

Also, it will generally only display anything at all if you have a sizeable database file. If you’re only uploading a few small changes, you’ll never see that thing change. But if you had a large enough database and you Reset iCloud Sync, then that would cause the entire database to be uploaded to iCloud and that’s when you are more likely to see the 0% actually show something on the sending side and then eventually the receiving sides.

I put it there to help people see that something is actually happening, but as I said, it only does that when the sync files are large.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.