Website Field

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

grooveagent
    Participant

I was reading the online manual about the website field and noticed that it said “he Website field lets you store an address to a website or even another application on your own computer.”

I’m curious about linking to another application. Has anyone figured out how this is done or have an interesting use for this feature?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    February 7, 2015 at 4:53 AM #12899

Leo
    Participant

Isn’t it just instead of using http://”address” you use file://”address”

i.e. file:///Users/lwateunissen/Desktop/Logo%20Feet%20Fit%20Pedicure%20ZW.jpg

February 7, 2015 at 7:14 AM #12901

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can also use another app’s scheme. For example evernote://

December 31, 2015 at 7:26 AM #15566

M. W.
    Participant

Dear Brendan,

I have a similar problem.
    – TapForms on iPad
    – Field type “Website”

I like to jump to another application on iOS called “Bible Study App” form OliveTree. They support a kind of URL for their app in this form: olivetree://bible/<book>.<chapter>.<verse>

If I use a html file with this line: This opens John 3:16
    everything works fine and the app starts.

But in TapForms neither “evernote://” nor “olivetree://” works. The globe next to the field does not react on tapping in these cases.

What did I wrong?

Regards,
    MuchoWolle

December 31, 2015 at 12:20 PM #15567

Brendan
    Keymaster

This is due to an iOS 9 security restriction. Tap Forms first checks to see if it can open the URL provided. If so, it goes an calls the openURL method. If not, it doesn’t do anything.

Unfortunately in iOS 9, Apple requires developers to add the URL scheme (e.g. onepassword://, evernote:// etc.) to the app’s Info.plist file which tells the operating system which URL schemes it’s wanting to have access to.

However, Apple does still allow an app to simply call openURL passing in whatever scheme the user specifies, so what I’ve done for the next update is to remove the canOpenURL check and just go right to openURL. That resolves the problem. It will be in the 4.0.6 update once I get to working on that.

Sorry for the trouble. This only affects iOS 9.x, not iOS 8.x.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 1, 2016 at 5:47 AM #15572

M. W.
    Participant

Many thanks, Brendan, for very quick answer. Will waiting …

Happy New Year, too.
    Mucho

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.