Warning window

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Paolo
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    just a little suggestion to make more safe and user-friendly the usage of TapForms on iOS.
    On the field “connect to form” the user has the possibility to select an entry from a different form. Once selected, the user can disconnect or delete the entry flicking on the left. If I remember right, in the previous version, the user was able only to disconnect the entry and not to delete it.
    Of course it is a useful shortcut but I think that will be better if entries can be deleted only from the origin form to avoid unwanted cancellations with a simple finger gesture.
    If you are going to keep this feature why not add a warning pop-up window like “are you sure to delete this entry?”

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    October 12, 2017 at 10:49 AM #25360

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Paolo,

Thanks for the suggestion about the warning.

It would definitely be different than other apps that allow you to delete items that way. For example, in Mail if you swipe the mail message you can delete it, but it doesn’t give you a warning after you tap on the Delete button. It just deletes it.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 12, 2017 at 11:22 AM #25365

Paolo
    Participant

Yes but in Mail you can find the message in the trash. On TapForms it is irreversible.

Thanks

October 12, 2017 at 6:22 PM #25372

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes, that is true.

January 31, 2018 at 7:44 AM #27202

Paolo
    Participant

Unfortunately today I delete one records inadvertently with a simple swipe. About what you said regarding Mail App I noticed that under Mail settings (on iOS) there is an option “confirm deletion” to avoid this problem. What do you think about the possibility to add this feature?

Thanks,
    Paolo

January 31, 2018 at 11:23 AM #27204

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well, when you swipe to the left on iOS, it does show a red Delete button on the right. Then you have to tap on it to actually delete it. So it’s two operations.

However, in iOS 11, Apple added a different gesture recognizer whereby if you swipe all the way over to the left the object will get deleted without the Delete button needing to be tapped.

But now what if you had to delete a dozen or more records? Every time with an alert would get pretty annoying.

So it’s a tossup between safety and usability.

But it’s something I could think about adding. I already display an alert if you try to delete an entire form because that could be really bad if you accidentally deleted an entire form with just a swipe because that would delete all the records within it too.

January 31, 2018 at 11:40 AM #27205

Paolo
    Participant

You said:
    “But now what if you had to delete a dozen or more records? Every time with an alert would get pretty annoying.”

Yes, that is true, but why not add an option in the settings where the user can choose to have or not to have a warning window as in Mail App settings?

If you think that it’s a tossup between safety and usability, you can disable this feature by default, then the user can enable it to feel more secure.

January 31, 2018 at 3:10 PM #27207

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya, true. I could add yet another setting. But more settings usually end up complicating the interface. And they also need to be localized to about a dozen languages now. So I’m always leery of adding new settings.

But I’ll think about it.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Brendan

November 4, 2021 at 3:41 AM #45638

I would add my voice to the “safety” camp. I have been leery about the swipe/delete for some time then yesterday, it happened: 3 key records zapped. I recovered them with the recover deleted records option, but would very much like to be able to switch off the swipe/delete function.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.