Want to auto populate field based on parameters.

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Want to auto populate field based on parameters.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Jimmy Uptain
    Participant

Can this be done?
    If a customer has the same billing address as the property address, Tap Forms auto fills the billing address.

I print out renewals and would like to print from just one set of address fields.
    However, I have to have two sets of address fields, one for location, and one for billing.

Hope that makes sense

May 3, 2017 at 1:14 PM #22887

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jimmy,

Well, I’m not sure if this is what you’re looking for, but you could create a Calculation field which pulls the values from other fields together.

May 3, 2017 at 4:50 PM #22893

Jimmy Uptain
    Participant

Thats exactly what I’m trying to do. Except I want it conditional.

You know how you fill out an order online and if you check the box “same as mailing address” it populates the fields for the billing address (or the other way around).

I’m terrible at formulas, so I figure I was doing something wrong.

May 3, 2017 at 5:21 PM #22894

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can do that with an IF statement in Tap Forms 5.1.

For example:

IF(Price > 100, "Tax Inclusive", "Plus Tax")

In the above example you would have to set the Result Type as Text.

Another example for formatting an address field:

[First Name] + " " + [Last Name] + "\r" +
    IFNOTEMPTY([Company], [Company] + "\r", "") +
    [Address 1] + "\r" +
    IFNOTEMPTY([Address 2], [Address 2] + "\r", "") +
    [City] + ", " + [Province] + "  " + [Postal Code]

So that would generate an address that includes the company name after the first and last name, the address 1, then conditionally the Address 2 field if it wasn’t empty, then the City, Province, and Postal Code. The “\r” strings will put a linefeed in those spots. Putting them in the condition is great because it helps to eliminate a blank line if there’s no value (in this case for Company and Address 2).

Hopefully that helps a bit.

May 3, 2017 at 8:19 PM #22895

Brendan
    Keymaster

FYI, I just added this bit of knowledge to the online user manual in the Calculations topic. Thought it would be helpful to be there too.

May 4, 2017 at 1:30 AM #22904

Jimmy Uptain
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll see what I can do.

May 6, 2017 at 8:32 AM #22953

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

Hmmm, I think Jimmy is looking for something a little different, which might require a scripting capability or a new twist on an IF statement. In Jimmy’s actual case, each address might comprise several fields such as street/city/province/postal_code, but that’s irrelevant for this discussion. It’s essentially this:

1) You have two text fields: Property_Address and Billing_Address. BOTH fields are editable by the user.
    2) You have a checkmark field: “Billing_Same_as_Property”.

==> If the user checks the checkmark field, then the contents of the Property Address field will be copied to Billing Address field, and replace any content that might already be in the Billing Address field. If the checkmark field is unchecked, then the user can enter anything he wants into the Billing_Address field.

I could envision an “IFEDITABLE” function that works like this:
    IFEDITABLE (test_condition, [field is editable by user], [calculated value])

So in Jimmy’s case, his Billing_Address field would have this formula:
    IFEDITABLE(Billing_Same_as_Property=0, [field is editable], [Property_Address])

Something to add to the wish list?

Thanks,
    Mike

May 6, 2017 at 10:04 AM #22956

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya, that would definitely require some sort of programming model for the user to be able to affect the changes in one field by changes made to another field. Right now the Calculation field is the only way to do that and it’s really just a fancy read-only math parser.

May 7, 2017 at 6:13 AM #22972

Jimmy Uptain
    Participant

Yeah, Mike pretty much nailed what I’m trying to do.
    Thanks Mike, I couldn’t put it into words but I knew what I wanted.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.