Using XML

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

guideon
    Participant

Hi,

I have spent almost the week end to evaluate the tapforms app and found that it is a great app. However there is one bigest drawback: linked forms are not exported.

So if you want to design a mobile invoicing app it is impossible to send an invoice to a server. Since an invoice should have the Account -> line items (linked form). So why not using a simple XML file to be sent by mail.

Best regards

Guy Fauquembergue.

July 18, 2011 at 4:13 AM #4668

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Guideon,

My next update will allow you to email a Tap Forms form template document which will include all linked forms and pick lists. Not the actual data though, just the form templates.

Thanks,

Brendan

July 18, 2011 at 3:58 PM #4669

lgol27
    Participant

How about to add an ability to export data not only in CSV format, but in XML too? So you can use XML’s tree-like structure to export the linked records as well. There are a lot of tools working with XML. This feature could be very useful.

July 18, 2011 at 4:51 PM #4672

Brendan
    Keymaster

That’s true, XML would work for something like that. But then, we’re getting into some pretty complex stuff that I think will only benefit a minority of users. My goal for Tap Forms is to have it be as simple to use and interchange data as possible. Not sure how easy it will be to explain XML, XSD schemas, and XSLT to the soccer mom who wants to import their data into Excel or MS Access or FileMaker :-)

Thanks,

Brendan

July 18, 2011 at 5:33 PM #4675

lgol27
    Participant

First of all, you don’t have to abandon anything you already have. So, everyone who needs a simple CSV file without linked forms, could use it. But for more advanced users, XML is a better approach. For example, I would love to export records to a PC through XML, work on them on my computer, and then import the updated data back to iPhone to continue working when I am not near my desktop. For this scenario, when you have linked records, XML is the best fit.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.