Using Tapforms 5.2.11 for password management repalcing IOS Lockit

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Using Tapforms 5.2.11 for password management repalcing IOS Lockit

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Karl Reed
    Participant

I have used Lockit under IOS to manage my passwords for several years, however, it would not run properly (although it was usable) under IOS 10, and, was totally inoperable under IOS 11.
    So, I delayed upgrading my iPhone to IOS 11 until I had found a new system for password management. My intention was to use TapForms since that would give me cross platform syncing, and, most of my passwords are needed on my computer, except for credit card data-I don’t do much with my smart phone, since I regard it as less secure that my laptop.

My basic requirement was being able to lock the complete password database on both platforms, and, sync between them. (This was not available under Lockit).
    Being paranoid, I did NOT upgrade my iPhone UNTIL I had good backups/exports of the Lockit database (and other apps running under iOS 10), AND, had tested my new regime.
    Early versions of TapForms had problems with locking databases across both platforms that made it unusable. However, these problems were rectified recently, and, so, I exported my Lockit DB to csv, and, used iTunes to move to my laptop.
    I then copied the CSV file, and, split the copy into its 35 components (yes, I had 35 categories of passwords, and, a total 130+ entries). Lockit’s csv files had a new row with the field names at the beginning of each category, so, I was careful to include this row in each of my category csv files.I then imported each of the 35 csv files, and, Bingo, TapForms generated the appropriate forms with the same field names as I used in Lockit!
    I them move the DB to the iphone, and, ran across both platforms WITHOUT a password. Then, when I as happy that syncing was working, I added a password on both platforms, and repeated my syncing tests.
    I ran the TapForms pasSword DB along side Lockit under iOS for two weeks, and, when I was sure all was good, I upgraded my iphone to iOS 11.. and deleted the now dead Lockit.
    I now, I hope, have a future proof password system.
    Thanks Brendan..
    Karl

July 9, 2018 at 8:11 PM #29907

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Karl,

That’s great to hear!

I’m glad you’re finding Tap Forms useful for managing your passwords.

Remember that you need to encrypt the database document on each device separately. For added security you could even use different passwords to encrypt the database on each device. Syncing will still work between them, even with different encryption keys. That’s because sync is done using separately encrypted SSL connections and doesn’t use your password for its encrypted connections.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.