Using Tap Forms on an Apple Watch

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Stan TAYLOR
    Participant

Tap Forms v 5.1.4 (Build 861) is running on my ageing Mac Pro under the last update of Mac OSX El Capitan. On my iPad and iPhone running under iOS 12 are the latest versions of Tap Forms. From this situation Tap Forms was added to the Apple Watch 4.

On the iPhone directions have been followed toward displaying a ‘Customised’, or if you prefer ‘Customized’, version of my most often used Tap Forms File.
    An Emoji Icon has been attached to the selected File. It is assumed that the following is what will be necessary too achieve a satisfactory outcome by providing a useful Database on the Watch?
    A point has been reached where ‘Deleting’ [seemingly the only way to ‘Customise’] all non-critical fields, with a view to make viewing the remaining content as practicable and efficient as possible on the Watch Face.

The ‘Customisation’ was commenced and on hitting the Delete Button to remove a Field iPhone closed the Tap Forms App. On reopening the App the deletion had been effective. This process was repeated with the same outcome to remove several Fields. However it is clearly going to be a very long process to trim a large form to a usage size.

It would be good to know if deletions made in error can be reinstated. As a precaution the selected File was copied beforehand.

Perhaps I have embarked on a journey taking the incorrect route, or possibly missed some published information and so would find some guidance helpful.

Thanks for your time, best wishes,

G

October 2, 2018 at 4:45 PM #30866

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Stan,

There was a bug in the previous release of Tap Forms 5.3 for iOS which caused the delete field function to crash after the field was deleted. I’ve since published an update which corrects that problem.

So check for updates and give it a go again.

There’s no undo for deletions. Sorry. But if you were to have a .tff file of your form, re-importing it would restore all the deleted fields.

Thanks!

Brendan

October 2, 2018 at 8:06 PM #30871

Stan TAYLOR
    Participant

Thanks for the response Brendan.

Tap Forms was Uninstalled from the Watch.
    Updated Tap Forms on the iPhone.
    Tap Forms was Reinstalled on the Watch.
    Following that it was possible to Delete as anticipated.

Clearly it is a ‘suck it and see’ situation as to the number of Fields that can be usefully used without the Watch space requiring excessive scrolling.
    I intend setting up a ‘Tester’ Database to play with and help create a useful display with minimal content.

FYI:
    1. I notice that Tap Forms loads up Records in batches of 20.
    Naturally the, say, twelfth record is 12/20.
    At the end of this batch there is a message to Load More Records and a tap begins the process.
    In the second batch of 20 the, say, thirty-second record shows as 32/20.
    2. Select a Record for reviewing and when finished hit top left Blue Left Pointing Arrow and the List auto scrolls 9 or so records backwards.
    It would be useful if the List remained stationary.
    3. Following the Tap Forms Update at the point when the Load More Records was tapped nothing happened for 20 minutes or so. After another 10 to 15 minutes the second batch had loaded, ending with 40/20.
    4. Assuming that it takes 15 minutes or so to load a batch, and allowing time to pass, it seems that the Records are limited to 40?
    5. Reviewing the last Record [40/20] and tapping the Blue Arrow scrolls the List to 17/20.

Possibly related but not involving Tap Forms:
    I have carried out a similar exercise using 1Password.
    This has a large number of Records and after running overnight was still seemingly loading. 12 hours further on one Record is available, by chance it is my Apple ID. Could these loading ‘delays’ be an Apple problem?

Thanks again for your help, best regards,

Stan

October 2, 2018 at 8:32 PM #30872

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Stan,

I don’t really know why it’s taking so long to load the records for you. For me they load up as soon as I tap the Load More… button.

But I agree the record count and back button is off when loading more records. I’ll have to work on that.

October 3, 2018 at 2:25 AM #30882

Stan TAYLOR
    Participant

Hi Brendan

Thanks for the info.

Firstly I would must correct the situation regarding the speed of loading.
    My first few visits this morning were sluggish, but the most recent attempt loaded in a similar fashion to your experiences.
    The only thing that had changed was the removal of 1Password from the Watch.

Off topic but this may be helpful to some? The following are within the Watch App on the iPhone.
    For the benefit of anyone wishing to COMPLETELY remove an App from their Apple Watch 4, assume it will be similar for some earlier models [?],sliding the Display on Watch Switch to the left uninstalls that App from the Watch.
    However the same App may be present in the Available Apps List with an INSTALL button on the right.
    The appropriate App then has to be removed from your iPhone, when this is completed check that it has gone from the Available Apps List and then Reinstall it.
    I removed 1Password because the Developers, Agilebits, recommend caution due to reduced security on the Watch. It also stopped me wasting more time trying to resolve why only a single Password was available on my Watch.

Please can you confirm the Quantity of Records that can be viewed via the Tap Forms App on the Apple Watch?

Is the answer to the above related to the Number of Fields displayed in each of the available Records?

Thanks again for your much appreciated support and devotion to Tap Forms, best wishes,

Stan

October 3, 2018 at 2:29 AM #30883

Stan TAYLOR
    Participant

Hi again Brendan

I failed to make it clear that the Number of Records my Watch is loading is 40 [forty].

Cheers,

Stan

October 3, 2018 at 11:51 AM #30892

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Stan,

Oh yes, I see that. Once you’ve loaded in 40, the load more button disappears.

I’ll have to look into that.

But you can also search for records using voice or the list of saved searches. Unfortunately since I haven’t used that feature in quite a long time, I didn’t realize that the list of Saved Searches isn’t displaying properly. I’ll fix that.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.