Using Radio Buttons

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Doug Bank
    Participant

I just figured out that I can cause a pick list to show up as radio buttons, and you can select more than one button. However, how can you use that information? With a checkbox, I can use the result in a calculation and it is 1 if the box is checked or 0 if it isn’t. However, what if I show 12 radio buttons and click on 3 of them? Is it just a visual thing, or is there a way to use the the value of each button in a calculation or for sorting or searching?

Admittedly, I am just thinking about cheating here and, for compactness sake, put a number of different pieces of information in the same field to save space.

Also, I hate to call this a bug since I don’t know what I am doing, but if the Label Position is supposed to control where the labels are in relation to the buttons, then it doesn’t work. No matter what I choose, the button always appears to the left of the label.

February 10, 2021 at 1:03 PM #43409

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Doug,

If you use the Radio Button option for Pick Lists, the value you select is what’s stored in the field. If you use the Checkbox Buttons option for the Pick List, then Tap Forms will generate a comma separated values list that’s stored in the field. So treat them as text in a Calculation field or Script.

So that label position setting used to work. I’m thinking that it might be a Big Sur issue. Are you using Big Sur? I may have to turn it off on Big Sur if that’s no longer supported as a feature in macOS.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 10, 2021 at 3:39 PM #43414

Doug Bank
    Participant

Brendan,

I am not using Big Sur. In fact, I am on 10.14.6. The behavior is the same on both the release version of Tap Forms and beta 2190.

Doug

February 10, 2021 at 8:39 PM #43419

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yup. I just figured that out today. It was a bug. I worked on a fix for it. I don’t know why I changed that code because it used to work.

February 11, 2021 at 7:20 PM #43426

Doug Bank
    Participant

Those are the dangerous bugs. Consider not fixing it until you know why it was changed in the first place lest you just break something else.

February 11, 2021 at 10:37 PM #43428

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya that’s true. But the code as it was would only work to show the changes when you were on a custom layout. Not the Default Layout. So that’s what caused it not to work. I changed the field references in the code and now it works.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.