Using pick lists in calculation fields

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

charityjf
    Participant

Hi,

Is it possible to have a calculation field use a different formula depending on what value from a pick list you have selected? The reason I ask is because I have a lot of my old stuff that I want to sell online, and I’m using Tap Forms to keep an inventory to help me get organised. I want to be able to see what the fees were for each item I’ve sold, but as I’m selling various things on different websites with different fees, the formula needs to change based on where I’ve sold it.

I’d like to be able to select the site from a pick list (e.g. eBay / Gumtree / DePop etc.) and then have the calculation field for the fees know which formula to use to show the right fees for that site. Is this possible, and if so, how would that formula look written? I’m very new to making formulas, I’ve barely ever even used spreadsheets, so please bear my inexperience in mind when answering.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Charity

June 25, 2015 at 3:17 PM #14081

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Charity,

No I’m sorry, but the Pick Lists don’t have any way of affecting what formula gets used for a Calculation field. But you could add a “Fee” field to your formula which would be a flat fee added to the value. You could have a Pick List with a set of these flat fees that you can choose from. Or if it’s a percentage, then just multiply the base part of your formula with the percentage value you choose from a Pick List.

For example:

([Item Cost] * [Quantity]) + [Item Cost] * [Quantity] * [Fee Percentage] / 100.0

So if your Item cost was $100.00 and the Quantity was 2 and the Fee Percentage as 2%, then the result would be: (100 * 2) + 100 * 2 * 2 / 100 = $204.00

And the result would change depending on what the Fee Percentage value was.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.