Using Checkmark Field

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Yvette M
    Participant

I’m sorry if this question has already been asked but I can’t find it and can’t use the examples I have found to work in my situation.

I have a form that is a log of items I’ve purchased. So far I keep a running total that is displayed in the list view by having my form calculation summary be that of the “subtotal” field.

I’d like to add a Checkmark field (or something) labeled “returned” so that if I returned the item the total would not contain that items price in my total summary.

So far I have a number field labeled “price” and a calculation field labeled “subtotal”. The formula is ([Price]*.081)+[Price])
    I get the item price plus tax.

I want to add the field “returned” and get the result I am looking for.

Please help. And sorry if it’s obvious but I can’t get it to work. Thanks!

Yvette

June 28, 2015 at 3:15 PM #14117

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Yvette,

The Checkmark field will be stored in the database as a 0 or a 1. So multiply your formula by your Checkmark field, then when the Checkmark field is OFF, the result will be 0 because anything multiplied by 0 is 0. When it’s ON, the result will be whatever the main part of your formula results in because a value multiplied by 1 results in that value.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Brendan

June 29, 2015 at 6:50 PM #14126

1Levite
    Participant

I was working a similar formula for the weight of items added to, or not added to my backpack using the “if” statement. Had I thought about Brendan’s solution, that would have been the elegant solution. I used the inelegant “if” statement.

I was thinking that if you care about credits or something other than zero when “return” is checked, the “if” statement could be used, as in the following example:

if([returned],([price]*-0.081+[Price]*-1),([price]*0.081+[Price]))

If returned is checked/true: the formula gives a negative result equivalent to the price plus tax (a credit)

If returned is unchecked/false: the formula gives the price plus tax

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.