US Federal Holiday Calculator

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Chris Knight
    Participant

Hello,

What It Is
    This a template that implements a calculator for finding the ten Federal holidays in the United State when the user inputs a year. The legal holiday date will be shown and if the holiday lands on a weekend, the observed date will also be shown. Each record will be the holiday dates for the entered year, so a database could be created with a record for every year that someone is interested in which date, including day of the week, a holiday falls on. It is a layout form-based template, using the “default” tabular layout is not really useful in this template.

This template can also serve as an example of using various date functions [DATE(), NEWDATE()] and conditional functions [IF(), IFEMPTY(), IFNOEMPTY()]. There are several techniques that maybe interesting to some, such as: extensive nesting in some calculations; hiding fields unless a condition is met; finding exact dates based on which year, month, week, day and even day of the week; and demonstrating that TapForms can be more than just a record keeper. :-)

Using It
    Please use it anyway you like. To use it as designed (i.e. as a holiday calculator), please first create a new record from TapForms’ menu or the plus sign then select the Layout titled “Form”. Then enter the year, as a four digit number, in the only input box there is. All the calculations will be done instantly. That’s it, easier than a Google search for a future, past or present year holiday calendar.

Requirements
    This template is designed for TapForms 5.2.4 and later. Earlier versions will lack one or more functions used. This was done in the Mac version and only tested on an iMac with a large screen.

Limitations
    This calculator template handles all the Federal holidays in the Untied States. Not every state observes every holiday and no state specific holidays are included. However, it can easily be extended to include (and/or exclude) dates to make it applicable to your needs. Have fun!

Bugs
    I don’t believe there are bugs in the calculations I’ve written for this template. However, I did, and cannot, not test it for every single possible year. If a problem is found, please leave a post and I will fix it, time willing. Note that the dates shown for the observed dates are calculations that are nested in other calculations and the commas normally used in the date formatter of the DATE() function are not able to be parsed correctly in TapForms. This is a use case somewhat beyond what was originally imagined. Due to the problems the commas cause for TapForms parser, I am using colons instead of normally expected commas. It was a choice made to get one of the calculated fields to work (to display or hide the field column title) and does not have any other meaning, purpose or intent.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    March 26, 2019 at 10:06 AM #34105

Nicodemus Sumedo
    Participant

in the formulas you need to change the commas “,” on “;” and it will work

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.