Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad › Forums › Using Tap Forms › Update records by matching form_record_id
July 6, 2018 at 2:33 PM #29844
I have a contact database in Tap Forms. I exported a list of the contacts including their form_record_id. Now I need to upload a new spreadsheet with additional info to be added to the existing records, based on matching the form_record_id. But how do I do that? I don’t see a place in the Import dialog to tell Tap Forms what field in my spreadsheet to use for the match (field name in header row is form_record_id)July 7, 2018 at 4:49 PM #29884
Tap Forms will just look for that special “form_record_id” field. If it finds it, it will use that to look-up the record that needs to be updated.July 7, 2018 at 7:26 PM #29890
Thanks. Got it to work now.July 19, 2018 at 3:35 PM #30083
Can you please explain the use of the special “form_record_id” field in a little more detail by answering my questions below.
I want to update some values, in only some fields, and only on some records. So I started by “export” “records” and checked off (selected) “export record id”.
As you mention above, If Tap forms finds the special “form_record_id” field in the imported file, tap forms will use that to look-up the record that needs to be updated (when the record is re-imported).
1) I deleted some records (rows) that I do not want changed, will tap forms delete these records from its form? or will it just ignore these rows?
2) I deleted the fields (columns) that I do not want to update (but not the special “form_record_id” field).
Will tapforms delete these fields (columns) from its form? or will it just ignore them?
3) AFTER exporting, I added a new field (column) called “NewPrice<number>” to the file-to-import.
Will Tap forms create/add this NEW field to the existing database? or ignore it?
Do I need to create this field in the database, before importing?
Will Tap forms make the field type; “number” or “text”?
4) I changed the values in some fields. Will Tap forms update the values in these fields and delete/over ride the old value?
5) can I import / change values in a “<photo>” field;
if that photo filename already exists?
How do I import a new photo?
Thanks DanJuly 19, 2018 at 4:44 PM #30086
1. Tap Forms will ignore deleted rows. Since the rows do not exist in the CSV file, it will do nothing with them during the import. If there are more rows in the CSV file than in the database, those will be inserted into the database. If they exist, they will be updated based on the field name matching between the CSV file and the form structure.
2. Fields which do not exist in the CSV file will be ignored since they’re not there, and no fields will be deleted in the form.
3. Tap Forms will automatically add new fields that don’t exist. There is a setting to toggle that on or off though on the Import Records screen on the Mac version. Text will be the default type unless you specify it in the CSV file next to the field name. E.g. Revenue
, Rating .
4. All the data being imported from the CSV file will override the data in the database for the matching fields.
5. For photos, you should have an associated folder of photos with filenames that match the filename in the CSV file. Tap Forms will import the photos from the folder where the filename matches. Mac version only.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.