UPC Barcode

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Daniel Leu
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

In the desktop app, I created a UPC-E barcode and selected the “Display Caption” option. When looking at the custom layout, the caption is there. But when I print it on the label, the caption is not printed. Did I miss something?

Then I open the iPhone app to scan the printed code. Instead of an 8 digit UPC-E code, I get a 12 digit UPC-A code. But this will not match my product anymore :(

Thanks!

— Daniel

October 16, 2018 at 12:37 AM #31051

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Daniel,

Hmm… I just tested it and it shows the caption for me.

What macOS operating system are you on? I’m on Mojave.

But you’re right about the scanning converting the UPC-E codes. It looks like it’s padding them with 0’s before the last 2 digits.

Are you able to choose a different barcode format?

I use the ZBar open-source barcode scanning library to do that for me. It hasn’t been updated in quite some time. It might be time to find an alternative library.

October 16, 2018 at 7:38 AM #31056

Daniel Leu
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

> What macOS operating system are you on? I’m on Mojave.

I’m still on Sierra.

> But you’re right about the scanning converting the UPC-E codes. It looks like it’s padding them with 0’s before the last 2 digits.

Yeah, it looks like it converts a UPC-E code to a UPC-A code.

> Are you able to choose a different barcode format?

Yes, I can use another one and it seems that I have to since UPC is heavy regulated…. I tried a few ones and haven’t found one where the phone successfully captures the code, apart of UPC-E. I guess it has to do that I’m missing the check mark on some.

— Daniel

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.