Unable to import

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Robert Jackson
    Participant

I have an inventory form with about 350 items. i need to add additional items to the inventory and make some mass updates so i exported the file as a .csv and edited in Excel. I didn’t want to screw up the current inventory file so i tried to import the updated inventory into a new file. It appears that the import works and the new form is created but none of the data is transferred so there are 0 records in the new form.

I recently switched from a windows PC to a MAC and purchased the Tap Forms app. Previously, i used Tap Forms extensively on my iPhone and iPad importing and exporting files with success. I tried to export as a .xlsx file and import it with same results. Deleted the form and Exported original file as .csv and imported into a new form with same results. When importing i see 350+ files and i’m able to cycle through the files with no problem.

Is there something i am doing wrong?

Also, i exported the file with the media box checked as there are pictures attached to the inventory that are vital. How do i import those pictures from the folder created by the export?

August 14, 2015 at 8:32 PM #14432

Robert Jackson
    Participant

Note: i have reviewed Brendan’s blog on importing and exporting on a MAC and i followed his instructions with no success.

August 14, 2015 at 9:12 PM #14433

Robert Jackson
    Participant

Okay, I exported the current database into a .csv and added 89 records and saved the .csv file and imported back into Tap forms on MAC. Again, import recognized there were now 440 files.

Tap Forms imported the additional 89 records into a different database form and didn’t modify the current database. i tried this twice with same results.

So, as a test, i used my iPhone to try and the import. I’m using Dropbox as the sync service so i know i’m using the same files that the desktop MAC is using. I imported the files using the iPhone and it recognized and imported the files and updated the database to show it now has 440 records. So, i synced the iPhone database with Dropbox to see if this would update the MAC version. The MAC version now shows the additional files. Any idea why importing via iPhone works where importing via MAC does not?

BTW, the size of the db is 90mb, if that helps.

i’m confused and frustrated. Thanks.

August 15, 2015 at 3:19 AM #14437

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Robert,

What file encoding setting do you have Tap Forms set to? Does it match the file encoding of the actual CSV file? In general, an Excel generated CSV file will be Mac OS Roman from Mac Excel and Windows Latin 1 from Windows Excel. You have to get that right in order for all the rows in the CSV file to import.

Also, if you have the Export Record IDs option turned on when you export, Tap Forms will add the record’s primary key to the CSV file. When you re-import that file, it will update those records in the database in the existing form, not in a new form.

Thanks,

Brendan

August 15, 2015 at 9:53 PM #14451

Robert Jackson
    Participant

when importing i set it to unicode 8 the same as exporting. i will try using the MAC OS Roman and see if that works, but i’m curious as to why it works when importing using the iPhone. The file is the same file?

Also regarding the Export Record IDs, i understand the existing records would be updated, but why would it create a new database for the new entries?

August 16, 2015 at 1:08 PM #14455

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Robert,

The file encoding has to match what the program is that’s exporting the data. I generally use TextWrangler to determine what the file encoding is of a program. It has good detection ability of the file encoding and displays it at the bottom of the window. TextWrangler is a free app available on the Mac App Store.

Make sure that you select the existing form before you import your file and don’t allow Tap Forms to make a new form for you.

On iPhone that’s done on the records list view after you’ve selected your form. On the Mac version use the Form popup button on the Import Records window.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.