Unable to Delete Data Sometimes

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Ron Kihara
    Participant

I deleted some data from several fields of a record by hitting delete, and was surprised to see that it was apparently still there when I did a search, although the field was blank. Refreshing the data restored all of the deleted fields. I tried this several times and could not delete the data, and had to delete and re-enter the record. This worries me a little, since I’m concerned that data I thought was deleted might have been restored.

November 20, 2017 at 8:04 PM #26021

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Ron,

Which version of Tap Forms are you using and which view were you using at the time?

November 27, 2017 at 12:27 AM #26169

Andrew Kay
    Participant

Hi Ron and Brendan,

I too have this problem.
    My workaround (which I hope isn’t the only solution to the problem) is to replace the deleted text with a single space. This text edit appears to be stable and keeps the field looking blank but not actually empty, which may be at the heart of the strange behaviour.
    We’ll wait and see…

November 27, 2017 at 1:02 AM #26171

Chris Knight
    Participant

I have also had the problem deleting data, but only in Notes fields. It may look like it is gone but if I click to multi-column mode then back to single column mode it shows up. I select the data with command-a and paste over it, it sometimes ignores the change, rather it seems to work but later I see that it didn’t really work. The only reliable way I have so far found when I have a misbehaving notes field is to paste in the data I want after the existing data. Save it, then edit it and delete the data portion I don’t want. Of course this means I have to have data I want to replace it with. I have not tried with a space yet and I will next time the issue comes up.

I have not been able to figure out how to reproduce the misbehaving at will. So I have not written this up.

I noticed the problem using TapForms Version 5.2.3 Build 1727. Single column view.

~Chris

November 27, 2017 at 2:52 AM #26174

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya, it’s an issue with the Note field. Replacing the content with a space solves the problem. I have some code in there that checks to see if the content is completely empty and it won’t save the change if that happens. It was to prevent a problem I had in the past which would sometimes cause the Note field data to disappear for some reason. I’ll dig into that again and take out that restriction.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.