Transfer Database to Others

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

John Bonn
    Participant

I have developed a database I would like to share with co-workers who are TapForm users.

What is the best (most efficient) way to do this?

Thanks!

…John 

November 23, 2013 at 5:06 AM #7798

Leo
    Participant

Hi,

I presume you are talking about the iOS version?

There are many way’s…I presume syncing over iCloud is not an option because of the different users. That’s the true power of tapforms!

But you can send a database over by email or send them by a we server initiated by Tapforms. See the button next to the + sign to add a new record.
    A menu pops up with different possibility’s. This result in an .csv (check your options) wich can be imported back to a different user/ iOS-OSX

Another way is to create a backup file wich can be restored on a different IOS

Leo

November 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM #7800

John Bonn
    Participant

Thanks for this.

When I create a backup file on my Desktop (from the Tap Forms File Menu), it appears as a .Zip file.

Unzipping this provides a _db.sqlite file

If I send this to my associates as is (email attachment?), is there a trick to getting their version of TapForms to import the records as either the .zip or _db.sqlite file?

…John

November 23, 2013 at 12:52 PM #7804

Leo
    Participant

You’re using the MAC version…

Using Restore (beneath the backup menu item)?
    This will let you pick .zip files.
    Leo

November 23, 2013 at 3:26 PM #7806

John Bonn
    Participant

Will give it a try!

I do use Tap Forms on my Mac Pro, iPad & iPhone.

Definitely a richer product than Bento.

Am looking forward to v.2!

Thanks again!

…John

November 23, 2013 at 6:36 PM #7811

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi John,

As long as the zip file can be found (either on your Mac or on an iOS device), then Tap Forms will unzip it during the restore process. So there’s no need for you to unzip it to extract out the .sqlite database file.

Please keep in mind that if they restore this .zip file, it will overwrite their current database.

Thanks!

Brendan

November 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM #7813

John Bonn
    Participant

Thanks, Brendan…

Not sure of my terms here.

If my collection of medical conditions & associated treatments is a series of Records made up of a number of Fields in a structured form, let’s call it a Form – I have named it JMB’s ER Tips

Is there a way for me to transfer JMB’s ER Tips to a colleague & for them to ‘Restore’ this Form to their device without overwriting any Forms they may have created?

…John

November 23, 2013 at 11:10 PM #7814

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello John,

When viewing the list of records for your Form, use the Export Records command from the File menu. Save the CSV file to your hard drive, then email him the file. He can then import the file. Also, so that he has the same form structure as you do including all the field types you can either email him the form template by using the Export Form Template command or make sure you turn on the export Field Type Tags function when you export the records. Then when he imports the file, Tap Forms will know all the field types during the import process and it will create a form with the proper types.

There is a video tutorial of the import & export process on my support page at https://www.tapforms.com/support.html

Thanks!

Brendan

November 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM #7818

John Bonn
    Participant

Brendan…

Thanks for this!

Guess I should have been able to figure this out on my own…wish more developers/programmers supported their work like you do!

Until next time!

…John

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.