Touch ID won’t turn off

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

timzu
    Participant

I enabled touch ID in my iOS Tap Forms and I can’t turn it off now. When I got into the security settings the button to enable Touch ID is off, but it is enabled and I have to use it every time I open the app or even when switching into the app. I cannot turn it off. And pressing it will not change the button from the off state. I can change the Auto-Lock time, but it doesn’t affect the app. If I switch to another app it will still require me to use Touch ID again to view Tap Forms.
    Any ideas how this can be fixed?

January 5, 2018 at 7:27 PM #26875

Brendan
    Keymaster

Is it the App Passcode you’ve enabled Touch ID on or is it on the individual document?

I just tested disabling the App Passcode’s Touch ID (well, Face ID on my iPhone X) and it worked properly.

What if you turn the passcode off altogether and not just disabling Face ID?

January 5, 2018 at 9:32 PM #26876

timzu
    Participant

I don’t understand what you mean by disable it altogether? How would I do that?

January 6, 2018 at 2:11 AM #26878

Brendan
    Keymaster

I meant turn the Passcode off and not just turning off Touch ID.

But I don’t know which screen you are using to try and turn off Touch ID. There’s 2 places in Tap Forms for iOS to do that. One on the App Passcode Lock screen and another on the Security Settings screen once you have a document opened.

January 6, 2018 at 8:08 AM #26880

timzu
    Participant

There is no setting I see to turn off the passcode entirely. There is only enter password on the lock screen or set password in the security settings.
    When I go into set password there are only two fields: new password and confirm new password.
    You can see from this screenshot that the Enable Touch ID looks like it’s off, but it is still asking me to touch to enter the app. And when I touch that enable button nothing happens.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 6, 2018 at 8:28 AM #26882

timzu
    Participant

Just to update, I’ve deleted the app from my iPad and then reinstalled it and I can now open it without Touch ID. You may want to look into this and see if it might be a bug.
    I know that I had enabled Touch ID on my iPad at some point, but I did not enable it on my iPhone. I have the database synced through iCloud. My iPhone never asked me to touch to open the app, but the iPad always did. Not sure if that setting is supposed to be synced along with the database or if it’s designed to be device specific?
    Regardless, the iPad wouldn’t let me disable it.

Thanks for your time.

January 6, 2018 at 8:42 AM #26883

timzu
    Participant

I should also mention that the Enable Touch ID button was also off on my iPhone and pressing it did nothing there, as well.

January 6, 2018 at 1:40 PM #26885

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Timzu,

I think the confusion here is that you’re seeing the Enable Touch/Face ID feature in two different places as I mentioned before.

If you close that document, then tap on the lock button at the bottom-right of the Documents screen, you’ll see the Passcode Lock and Enable Touch/Face ID.

So you were getting confused between the app Passcode Settings and the document’s encryption Security Settings.

This is the screen that was causing Tap Forms to ask for Touch ID when you launched it. See attachment.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 6, 2018 at 1:41 PM #26887

Brendan
    Keymaster

Also, deleting and re-installing the app cleared out that passcode and Touch ID setting. So that’s why you were able to get in after you did that.

January 6, 2018 at 2:24 PM #26888

timzu
    Participant

Ah, interesting. Thanks.
    So I am assuming then that Touch ID for the document cannot be turned on until you set a passcode for the document? It might be helpful to have some text on that security screen about it if that’s the case. Or perhaps switch the placement so that you have to enter the passcode before you can enable Touch ID?

January 6, 2018 at 2:43 PM #26889

Brendan
    Keymaster

You actually have to encrypt the document before you can enable Touch ID. So it’s more than just setting the password.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.