Totaling Calculation Fields

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

mrbill
    Participant

Hello- 2.0 is great. Nice work.

How do you create a calculation field that sums other calculation fields? I have 5 calculation fields already created and they work fine. When I create a new calculation field, I don’t see the any calculation fields in the equation editor.

What am I doing wrong?

Thx!

December 17, 2013 at 11:54 AM #8292

Leo
    Participant

Hi,
    calculation on calculation fields is not a feature. I have the same problem…The best is to use the complete formulas (in parentheses) in the calculation.

Leo

December 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM #8293

mrbill
    Participant

Hey Leo- Thanks for the help. Could you explain what you mean and the ‘how’ of a complete formula?

thx

December 17, 2013 at 12:39 PM #8294

Leo
    Participant

its simple, just add all formulas of all calculated field together in the total calculated fields:

calcfield1 = 1+1
    calcfield2 = 3*3

Totalcalcfield = (1+1)+(3*3)

December 17, 2013 at 3:29 PM #8302

mrbill
    Participant

Duh… Why didn’t I do that? You’re right.. so simple. Thanks for the slap on the side of the head.

December 17, 2013 at 3:36 PM #8303

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya, sorry for this issue.

It’s because I haven’t yet worked out a scanner algorithm to prevent recursive references to calculation fields.

An example:

A = + [C]
    C = [A] + [D]

How can you calculate A without first knowing C? But you can’t know C without first knowing A. I know I can figure this out and prevent this from happening, but it’s just something I haven’t spent the time on yet.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM #8304

mrbill
    Participant

Thx Brendan. No Prob. Easy workaround.

While I have your attention, I cannot get the checkbox to work in a formula. The formula is currently:

Total = ( (Qty 1 * Price 1) + (Qty 2 * Price 2) ) * Checkbox

Once I add the ” * Checkbox ” to the formula, Total becomes 0 no matter if the checkbox is checked or not.

Thoughts? Thx. Nice work on 2.0

December 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM #8306

Brendan
    Keymaster

Does your formula with the Checkbox field have a blue pill shape around it? I was just testing that and it seemed sometimes when I dragged the field in, it didn’t put the blue pill around it.

I should have taken the red pill! :-)

Try removing spaces from around the operators in the formula and drag the checkmark field in again to see if that fixes it.

Now when I click on the checkmark field, the calculation updates to either 0 or whatever the value should be if it was multiplying by 1.

I did notice that the calculation doesn’t update if I click on the checkmark in the multi-column list view. I have to fix that. But it does update if I click the checkmark button in the record details view.

December 17, 2013 at 8:22 PM #8312

mrbill
    Participant

Hello- Ok, I played with it further and here’s what I found:

You are correct, if I drag the field in, there is no blue pill shape. If I click the arrow to add it, the blue pill shape surrounds the field name. But, it still doesn’t work. I also removed the spaces like you suggested.

In case it helps, this is within the free layout form. Anything else I can try or info I can provide that would help?

Thanks.
    – Mr. Bill

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.