Tool to find missing attachments?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Yogie
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I found that while synchronizing or reorganizing some forms that had attachments, the links in the DB are still their but the attachments seem to be lost. Is there a way to easily scan for missing attachments and give a report on these, so I can fix that? It is quite important as I will travel to Canada in a few weeks and I need a list of my photo equipment and the attached invoices to present to the customs to proof that I have bought the equipment previously and don’t need to pay tax again…

Many thanks for any hints!

Cheers
    Joerg

September 6, 2014 at 10:00 PM #10752

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Joerg,

Any chance you’re coming to Calgary? That’s where I live.

What do you mean by the links are still there but the attachments are gone?

If you look on your Mac in the Attachments folder then you can see if they are still there.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 7, 2014 at 3:11 AM #10754

Yogie
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I’m sorry we are staying in Nova Scotia.

In regards to the attachments, you can choose if the links to the attachments are just referenced or if the documents are copied to the attachments folder. I think I have changed this setting some time to start to get files copied as I like to have all the documents with me. So when I’m now on the go and try to open an attachment the link (name of the file is there) but the attachment could not be found. So I wonder if there is a mechanism that would check if the setting is set to copy file (instead of referencing) and will then start copying the files that are missing. If you just choose reference and change the documents name or location TapForms is still pointing to old names and folders, so it would be good to have a report that would show abandoned references.

As I have over 160 documents in my records doing such a task manually is kind of boring and I’m always unsure if I did not miss any documents while checking!?

Cheers
    Joerg

September 7, 2014 at 7:09 PM #10759

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Joerg,

Ah, so you used the Alias function. The alias displays in the list, but you don’t have the original file there anymore? Did you move the original files?

Nova Scotia is very far away.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 12, 2014 at 4:26 AM #10799

Yogie
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

well yes that might be an option that the files have been moved. But as said before I changed to get the attachments to be part of the DB. But during the sync process and or change it seems that not all records still have their attachments, so some have a dead link. So my question was is there a way to get a check on missing files (regardless if they are stored as a copy or just the alias is linked) if not such a check would be essential to keep integrity of any data that is stored in an attachment.

Cheers
    Joerg

September 12, 2014 at 10:54 AM #10802

Brendan
    Keymaster

There isn’t a function like that at the moment. Sorry.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.