Title or non repeating field on labels

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Mackay Steffensen
    Participant

Hello,
    I am using the label option (awesome feature by the way) to print multiple records on a single sheet. It is actually a class roster and I would love to have a title on the sheet. I don’t want it repeated, just appearing once ideally at a location on the sheet of my choosing. Is this possible?

Thanks

January 9, 2015 at 2:49 AM #12616

David Butenhof
    Participant

I think this actually touches on a request I haven’t gotten around to writing up. What you’re asking for isn’t really “label” printing, because the title would waste a label and would be meaningless once labels were separated.

Rather, this is probably part of a non-label print mode that would allow us to print multiple records per page with more control than the current “table” format but without the restrictions of the “label” format.

For example, a record with a large Note field might take an entire page while another page might contain a dozen records with shorter Note fields. In both “label” and “table” formats, each record is constrained to a fixed size, whether or not it fits.

January 9, 2015 at 9:24 AM #12617

Mackay Steffensen
    Participant

My thinking is on a similar page. I am not using this as a mechanism to print labels, but rather to get multiple records per page. This is why I never embraced Bento as it was crippled in this area. I must give props to Brendan as the label feature accomplishes 99% of what I have been trying to do for years with other products. Granted it was possible, but not as easy as this so I am really excited. I know Brendan is responsive to suggestions (another reason to love Tap Forms) and I think it would be an important feature.
    While I’m writing a wish list, I do find it a little difficult to work in the labels. I am working with a 1 inch by 1 inch label and it is somewhat difficult to work with the fields in the label at this scale. It is doable and the final output excellent, and after fighting other products I can live and be very happy as is.
    Finally, it would be nice to control the fill of the ‘labels’ either by row or column.

Thanks!

January 10, 2015 at 12:39 AM #12619

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hey guys,

I do have plans to use the label printing engine to add an additional option to the “Design for” options for reporting. Essentially you would be able to design a page that had a header section, a body section, and a footer section. The header and body section obviously wouldn’t be repeated on the page, but the body section would repeat whatever content was put in there just like labels do now. So this request has already been on my to-do list for a future release.

I think it’ll be fun to work on and pretty awesome when it’s done. No, I have no ETA on it. It’s just an idea in my head at the moment, but I’ve definitely given some thought to how I will implement it. The labels engine gave me a good start.

MacKay, you can use the zoom feature to make the label bigger while you design it. Then put it back to 100% to add data to it. The reason is because there’s a strange issue with the blue focus borders when you’re not at 100%.

See my Stack Overflow posting here about it:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27143015/nsscrollview-with-magnification-other-than-1-0-causes-nsfocusring-to-be-offset

Thanks!

Brendan

January 10, 2015 at 6:26 PM #12628

Mackay Steffensen
    Participant

Hello,

Thanks for the response. I do work with the labels at 400%, but the handles and the minimum height of the field make it a little tight in working in a small label. I attached a picture and the font is 7 pt. The field is the minimum height. With the snap to guides it can sometimes be tricky to get the field in the correct spot; it may jump offscreen. It would be nice to be able to see the part of the field outside of the label, maybe grayed out.

I still think it is great and it does what I need, and any future features are a bonus. However, I think one important feature to consider is offering both directions of fill; across row or down column. This was something I and many other people fought with in Bento.

Thanks again

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.