TF5 inconsistent search field behaviour across Mac and iOS

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms TF5 inconsistent search field behaviour across Mac and iOS

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

David Verdonck
    Participant

Hi,

in the Mac version, if you are looking at a saved search result, and you subsequently enter a search term in the search box, the search is limited to the items that also match the saved search criteria.
    In the iOS version, entering a search term in the search box always searches through the entire database.

I much prefer the way the free text search works in the Mac version, so I would like to introduce a feature request to make the iOS version behave in the same way.
    Hopefully Tapform’s author will consider adding this in a future update.

August 10, 2016 at 5:41 PM #18429

Brendan
    Keymaster

That’s a tricky one. I’ve had debates with a beta tester of mine about that. He has a form that has over 125,000 records in it. When he taps on it, it takes a while to load all those records. So what he does is creates a saved search that is remembered by default that fetches only a few records. Then when he types into the search field, he is searching all of the records in that form. With the other behaviour he would not be able to search the entire list. I know the real answer is to just “make it load faster”, but that’s very difficult to do.

June 7, 2017 at 12:09 PM #23462

David Verdonck
    Participant

Logged this quite a while ago but it still bugs me :)

Quite often I want to perform a keyword search in order to drill down into the results of a saved search, so I have to get my laptop out of my bag and use Tap Forms for macOS. Or if I don’t have my laptop with me, sort through hundreds of search results that are not relevant to what I was looking for.

Maybe you could have a toggle in the settings that would allow for both behaviours?
    I hope you would consider this request in a future update.

June 8, 2017 at 2:47 AM #23472

Brendan
    Keymaster

In the latest versions of Tap Forms 5 there’s an option now to search All Records or just search within the Found Records when a Saved Search is currently selected.

June 8, 2017 at 3:59 AM #23476

David Verdonck
    Participant

Oh right, I see it know.
    I completely overlooked this somehow :)

Thanks!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.