TF beachballs creeps along since Yosemite

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms TF beachballs creeps along since Yosemite

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Karl Garrett
    Participant

I have a db of about 5 thousand records. There are only a few pictures in the whole db. It worked just fine in Mavericks, but as soon as I updated my system to Yosemite, I’ve been plagued with beachballs and very, very sluggish performance. Does anyone have a clue what I might due to get my snappy old Tap Forms db back to it’s old self? I’m new to it, and don’t know exactly where to start troubleshooting.

While my Mac is a few years old, it does run fast and clean, and everything I’ve used since upgrading to Yosemite seems not to have been affected by it. I’m using version 3.0 of TF, the latest from the App Store.

October 25, 2014 at 2:22 PM #11368

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Karl,

I’m working on trying to improve this. It does seem that Yosemite has caused some performance problems for Tap Forms. In fact, I’m working on a much bigger performance upgrade which will require a complete rewrite of the database structure for all of your forms. But in the end it will be a massive performance improvement.

I would suggest for now trying out the single-column list view to see if that performs any better for you.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 25, 2014 at 5:16 PM #11370

Karl Garrett
    Participant

Thank you Brendan. The support you give this forum is incredible. I have been a long-time Panorama user since the days when it was called Overview, but my age and growing lack of vision have begun to catch up with me. Also, Panorama seems to be slowly sinking without an update in quite some time. So about 6 months ago I started looking for a new db to keep my business running. Tap Forms allows just enough creativity that this user doesn’t get bored, enough flexibility to cover most all my needs, and a person at the helm of the huge development team (he he) that as long as he keeps his health and does not burn out should have a long ride as it’s creator and overseer. Best of luck to you sir.

Karl

October 25, 2014 at 10:55 PM #11372

Jean-Marie Bellec
    Participant

Exactly the same problem for me with Yosemite ! Your suggestion about single-column list view is relevant. Thanks Brendan !

October 26, 2014 at 3:23 AM #11375

Brendan
    Keymaster

Thanks for the vote of confidence Karl! Really appreciate it.

I am working on a performance upgrade (I think I’ve mentioned somewhere). It’s a big job, but it will be worth the wait. And a few SPODs during that time :)

October 27, 2014 at 3:39 PM #11414

Karl Garrett
    Participant

Okay. Things are much better now. Everything in my first post was true though. The slow startup of TP wasn’t too much of a problem, since I could just go get a cup of coffee and when I got back things were up and running. Entering data was swift, and when I decided to rearrange the form a little, the process was squick. Where the true problems arose was when I went to create a new record. TF would hang for 10 to 20 seconds. When I thought I could enter more data, and clicked on the form somewhere, There was the beech ball. This would happen a few times and then things would settle down.

Now here is the interesting part. Once I moved a check box and its label from one part of the window to another. I’m not sure what all the movements and key strokes were until I got the check box and its label aligned, but when I went from design mode to data entry, Try as I might, I could not get the curser placed in a text box to continue entering things. There was nothing else to do but to quit and relaunch TP. One of three things happened.

1. Apple silently slipped a Yosemite update onto my computer,
    2. Brendan silently slipped a TP update on to my computer, or
    3. some magic happened between TP and Yosemite, and they decided to play nice together.

Anyhow, Things are running smoothly as of now, and I am entering data like a mad man. Just one of those mysteries of life as they say. This is a great app and I’m so looking forward to whatever features Brendan has up his sleeve next.

Karl

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.