TF 5.3.3 (Build 1801) really sluggish on 2010 MacPro

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms TF 5.3.3 (Build 1801) really sluggish on 2010 MacPro

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Jonathan Levin
    Participant

Hi all.

Has anyone other than me noticed that TF is running really sluggish? Things like double clicking a memo field seem to take time to expand, as well as entering a curser in field.

JL

November 8, 2018 at 11:58 AM #31720

Daniel Leu
    Participant

I haven’t noticed any performance difference.

— Daniel

November 8, 2018 at 1:32 PM #31723

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jonathan,

Not sure about that. I haven’t noticed it either.

But you might try build 1804 which I released shortly after 1801.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 8, 2018 at 1:32 PM #31724

Brendan
    Keymaster

Oh, one thing you can do to speed things up a bit is to use the Compact Database function on the Maintenance tab of the Preferences window.

November 8, 2018 at 2:54 PM #31725

Jonathan Levin
    Participant

Thank you both.

Brendan, yes, I just updated to the latest version. And I also did the Compact DB. Interestingly, when I compacted my db, the size according to the Maintenance window, went from 33MB to 55MB. I quit and re-started and then the size went down to 28MB.

Anyway, none of this really did much to speed up my lazy interface. I am resigned to think that it is just my close to nine year old MacPro, which will be replaced sooner than later.

Thanks.

JL

November 8, 2018 at 4:01 PM #31727

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jonathan,

Hmm… try switching to a different view and see if that helps. That is, if you’re using the Single Column List View, try the Multi-Column List View. Maybe that’ll perform better.

You also don’t double-click on a Note field (I’m assuming by memo you meant Note). Just a single-click on the button next to the field title will display it.

Are you using any images in your Note fields? That can cause a performance problem.

Also, if you have big images in your forms, try scaling them down using the Resize All Photos function. That can have a big impact on the database. Although with a 28 MB database, that’s probably not the case.

November 8, 2018 at 5:06 PM #31728

Jonathan Levin
    Participant

Brendan.

No images in db. Pretty straightforward name, company, address, city, state, zip, phone, email address, and note/memo fields. ~4500 records. 100% of time in list view to add, edit, delete records. I have a password set for the db. When I type in password and click submit (or isit Open) I get a beachball for about 2 seconds then db opens.

Still wouldn’t be suprised if its old computer syndrome.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.