Text Inspector Misbehaving

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Chris Knight
    Participant

TapForms 5.2.3(build 1727) on iMac with High Sierra

I went to turn off the Text Inspector from the menu and it did not turn off but added a white space above my form layout window. I clicked it again, noting that the check was still there and again it added a white space above the window thus forcing it down further. I did it a couple more times until I had an inch of white space above my layout form and the Text Inspector was still not turned off. I had been in single-column view and clicked multi-column view and then clicked back into single-column view and it all magically fixed, and my Text Inspector was off. Then I decided I wanted another couple fields on the form after all and created and added them and went to turn back on the Text Inspector so I could change the font color and this time my layout window moved up cutting off the top of my layout such that I could not scroll up to it. I did this and the Text Inspector did not turn on. I tried to turn it on a couple more times until I lost the first several rows of fields. Then I clicked the multi-column view and back to the single-column view and all was fixed.

So, I decided to reproduce it. And just clicking the Text Inspector from the menu worked as expected. I clicked one of my section headings and turned on its fill color which had been off. Then clicked the Layout menu item for Show Text Inspector and it did not turn off and the white space appeared. I turned off and on the fill color a couple times and each time tried to turn off the Text Inspector and had quite a bit of white above my form again. Again the selecting multi-column and then single-column view fixes the view and the ability to turn off the Text Inspector, well sort of anyway, the check sometimes never goes away in the menu and in some cases it never turns on.

So to reproduce the window moving up, if the Text Inspector is off and I change the fill color of the Section Heading then the Text Inspector does not come on and the window moves up. So messing around I could reproduce the problem easily by changing attributes, adding fields, renaming things, etc. It seems that if the form is altered while the Text Inspector is off then trying to turn it on makes the form layout window move upward into nowhere and if the Text Inspector is on when an edit is made trying to turn it off adds white space.

I think it is a bug. Should be easy to reproduce, here are some steps I tried to see if it had something to do with my layout or if it was reproducible with an unedited factory form template.
    1) Select the included movie library template
    2) Select the Hunger Games record
    3) Go into layout mode and into single-column mode
    4) Turn on the Text Inspector if it is off
    5) Select the Movie Title field
    6) Turn off its stroke color
    7) Try and turn off the Text Inspector from the layout menu with “Show Text Inspector” (in my case the check was missing in this trial even though it was on)
    At this point a row of whitespace should have appeared above the form window between it and the Text Inspector. Try and turn it off a couple more time to see that the Text Inspector stays on and more white space gets added. In this trial, for me, the checkmark never came on.
    8) Click the icon to change to multi-column mode
    9) Click the icon to change back to single-column mode
    At this point the view should be back to normal and trying to turn off the Text Inspector will work.
    10) Select the Movie Title field again
    11) Turn on the stroke color
    12) Now try and turn on the Text Inspector (for me the checkmark is appropriately missing)
    13) Try again three more times to turn on the Text Inspector
    At this point the window should have moved up so much the Movie Title field is no longer viewable or accessible via scroll bars and the Text Inspector did not come on. (and for me the check is still missing)
    14) Click the icon to change to multi-column mode
    15) Click the icon to change back to single-column mode
    At this point the view should be back to normal and trying to turn on the Text Inspector will work.
    Additional note about the checkmark:
    In that last step, for me, the Text Inspector came on but is still missing the checkmark. It doesn’t always do that, sometimes the checkmark is persistently there. Not sure how to reproduce the checkmark issue where sometimes it is there when it shouldn’t be and sometimes it is not there when it should be. I imagine it is all related somehow.

This isn’t the end of the world, I can still work fine now that I know how to clear the weirdness long enough to show and hide the Text Inspector. Maybe people don’t do that very often so never noticed this behavior and chose to comment on it in the forum.

Kind regards,
    Chris

November 20, 2017 at 12:02 PM #26004

Brendan
    Keymaster

There does seem to be a disconnect between the menu command and the button state for the Text Inspector function.

I’ll work on fixing that. If you just use the A button instead of the menu for now that should work a bit better.

Sorry for the trouble.

November 20, 2017 at 12:09 PM #26005

Chris Knight
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

No worries, once I figured out how to get around the issue it wasn’t so much trouble. I have not used the A button much, I will give it try.

Thanks,
    ~Chris

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.