text field pick list option on ipad vs iphone

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms text field pick list option on ipad vs iphone

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

leonK
    Participant

When I import form (from dropbox) to app for iPhone there is always an option for text field to either type text, or link it to pick list. For some reason, when i import the same form to app for iPad, the text field doesn’t have the pick list option. I have to manually configure it to chose pick list. Am I doing something wrong here?

i posted this question on website’s blog initially, but i think posting question here is more appropriate. My apologies for double posting.

February 8, 2011 at 5:40 PM #4395

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Leon,

You’re not doing anything wrong. The CSV file doesn’t contain the pick list configuration, so you have to set that up separately on your iPad.

Thanks!

Brendan

February 9, 2011 at 4:10 AM #4396

leonK
    Participant

Brendan,

Thank you for the quick response. I realize there isn’t any option for pick list configuration in the csv file, however, newly impoterd form in iPhone version of the app has an arrow at the right end of text field. When tapped, it takes me to the next screen where i can either enter free text, or link to a pick list. After importing a new form in the iPad version of the app, there isn’t any arrow and when I tap on the text field, a text box appears without any option to link this field to the pick list. If I confused you, please let me know and I will post screenshots to illustrate this.

February 9, 2011 at 4:19 AM #4397

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Leon,

Ah right. On the iPad, there’s no chevron on the right because it’s not a navigation bar interface. Editing is done inline on the iPad.

So, to setup your pick list on the iPad, you need to customize the form, then tap the text field you want to associate the pick list with and then tap the “Field Options” option. You’ll see “Pick List” as an option there. Tap that to select the pick list you’d like associated with the text field.

Hope that helps a bit more.

Thanks!

Brendan

February 9, 2011 at 11:43 AM #4398

leonK
    Participant

Thank you Brendan, I got it now! Looking forward to future releases.

February 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM #4403

leonK
    Participant

Brendan, are you considering adding default link to pick list option in text field just like in the iPhone version? I think this change will make work flow more efficient for those who routinely use importing function.

Thank you

February 13, 2011 at 8:00 PM #4404

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Leon,

Normally setting the pick list happens only once on a field. If you’re importing over and over again the same form, maybe you just need to use the same form to import into. Instead of using the Files tab to start your import process, you could just pick your existing form and on the list view on the left, tap the action menu button and then tap “Import Records”. This will then use the already selected form to start the import process. As long as the file that you’re importing has the same structure, the records in the CSV file will be appended to the existing records in the selected form.

Thanks!

Brendan

February 15, 2011 at 2:25 AM #4413

leonK
    Participant

I’ll try that. Thank you.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.