TapForms iPad/iPhone crashing during backup

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms TapForms iPad/iPhone crashing during backup

• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,
    i am having a database with around 775MB in size. IBM Cloudant is active and doing the job in getting my iPhone and iPad synced.

Now worst case scenario is given. My iPhone needed a complete factory reset without using the Cloud Backup choice. This is giving me a clean install of TapForms for my iPhone.

To reduce the sync size with IBM cloudant I started a backup (Tools, Backup/Restore) which started the compressing of my database. At around 75% the app crashed which leads to a corrupt zip file. The second way I tried was to “send” the complete database in the main frontview (the menu where you are able to install the example files). Same result: App crashed during compression. No data was transmitted to iPhone.

The last possibility was to create on the iPhone a new database an setup the cloudant sync to trigger a manual sync via cloudant. After hours of waiting (both devices source ipad, target iphone) nothing happens, no data, no database is there.

This is frustrating as I am not able to transfer my database to any other device. Any help on this would be really appricated.

Thanks,
    Tim

March 23, 2017 at 4:21 PM #21669

Anonymous
    Inactive

One addition I realized. The database name in the sync setting is on every device differntly. As I am not able to open the tools page without having a database first created, this means that WITHOUT transferring the source database to a new device a sync NEVER happens!

I am digging more deeper into this, it gives me 2 possibilities:
    – add the ability to enter the database name within the Cloudant Sync page
    – quick fix (only one way to push data): create in cloudant web page a continous replication between the source databse and any new databse which is created on a new device (caution huge traffic, more than one db is holding same content). No changes in target db will be written back to source. :(

March 23, 2017 at 5:34 PM #21671

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Tim,

The Send Document function uses the same code to generate a zip file as does backing up the file. So I suspect whatever is causing the crash on backup is also causing it on sending the document. Could be a memory issue with a big database.

But one other way to transfer a .tapforms document from one device to another is to use iTunes File Sharing:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201301

Copy the file from the location specified in the attached image. Drag it to your computer’s Desktop with one device plugged in, then drag the .tapforms document from the desktop to the other device’s Documents view in iTunes.

You should now be able to setup sync again between your devices.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    March 25, 2017 at 1:21 AM #21697

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Brendan,

iTunes sharing did it :)

Thanks for your help on this. I always forget to use old school iTunes in times of cloud and fast internet…

Nevertheless please take in consideration as feedback that it would be nice to set the IBM Cloudant database name in the sync settings to get this DB back without connecting devices to iTunes. Maybe a Wizard at the main view would be nice (Do you want to speicify an IBM Cloudant DB/account where your database is stored for downloading to your device?) With that solution it would be much easier as it is as of today to get copies of your data synced with almost every device in a fast way…

Thanks again,
    Tim

March 25, 2017 at 11:53 AM #21706

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Tim,

I’m working on something like that. It’s coming for Tap Forms 5.1 when I re-introduce iCloud sync. But it will take longer to add that function for Cloudant syncing. What will happen is that when you setup a document for iCloud syncing, a placeholder document will automatically appear on your other devices. When you open that placeholder document on your other device there will initially be no data in it. Moments later it will begin to download the data from iCloud. I plan on doing the same thing for Cloudant. But it’s more complicated to do with Cloudant because there can be any number of Cloudant accounts, but only one iCloud account.

March 27, 2017 at 2:20 AM #21734

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Brendan,

good to know. I am always excited about new TapForms features :)

Tim

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.